tyFlow Forum
Another find target request... - Printable Version

+- tyFlow Forum (https://forum.tyflow.com)
+-- Forum: tyFlow Discussion (https://forum.tyflow.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.tyflow.com/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Another find target request... (/thread-1101.html)

Another find target request... - insertmesh - 09-09-2019

Hey man,

another idea for the find target op:

It would be great to have a divergence setting for the find closest point mode. Ideally there would be a radius setting in units, where you could specify how far from the closest point targets would be found.

That way you could get some more variation, when random is too random and closest is to narrow...

RE: Another find target request... - tyFlow - 09-09-2019

That already exists. Check the "spread" setting in the Find Target op.

RE: Another find target request... - insertmesh - 09-10-2019

Right...that totally makes sense. Don´t know how I didn´t connect those obvious dots...

But speaking of obvious...How do I make targets align to the normals of the targets surface differently? Right now they align parrallel to the surface, but I want them to align perpendicular to the surface.

(09-10-2019, 08:02 AM)insertmesh Wrote: Right...that totally makes sense. Don´t know how I didn´t connect those obvious dots...

But speaking of obvious...How do I make targets align to the normals of the targets surface differently? Right now they align parrallel to the surface, but I want them to align perpendicular to the surface.

I mean, I can set the rotation by surface and interpolate once the particles hit the target, but i´d like them to ease into it from a distance, which is what the  target align by normal in the find target op does.

RE: Another find target request... - tyFlow - 09-11-2019

Just use the Rotation operator by surface as you guessed, and set the proximity falloff value to your desired range and timing to continuous. That functionality is identical to the way the Find Target surface alignment works, with the added bonus of being able to offset the rotation (in your case, perpendicular).

RE: Another find target request... - insertmesh - 09-11-2019

(09-11-2019, 02:58 AM)tyFlow Wrote: Just use the Rotation operator by surface as you guessed, and set the proximity falloff value to your desired range and timing to continuous. That functionality is identical to the way the Find Target surface alignment works, with the added bonus of being able to offset the rotation (in your case, perpendicular).

Yeah, I´ve seen that, I think I also played around that, but I just realized that I´m trying to do too much at once here...Before the particles hit the target, I already have a rotation by travel direction in place, that is probably overriding the rotation by surface.
I could probably add another find target bit and trigger it a bit farther away than the actual target, and put the rotation by surface instead by travel in that event, but in the end, just interpolating the rotation in the target event also works fine enough for most cases.

If I find myself in a situation where I a better solution, I´ll reanimate this thread....Smile