Cell division
Video 

So I've been playing around with a setup for cell division and have the basis of what I believe to be something decent..ish (see video) based on information from this thread (http://forum.tyflow.com/thread-873.html). I'm having a few issues that I wondered if anyone could shed some light on though...

While I am subdividing the mesh after fracturing, the sharp and more dense edges of the fracture cause some artifacts when I inflate the resulting mesh(es), I'm wondering if there was a way to avoid this? 

The other issue is self collision, which I know isn't yet a feature for the cloth solver so I am faking it using the particle physics operator with collision radius approximately half of the mesh edge lengths, this seems to become less stable as the simulation iterates. 

Anyone much wiser than me able to suggest some improvements to reduce these issues? The results from about 30min of tinkering are encouraging but my limited knowledge seems to be preventing me being able to fix these things.
Great test!

The next build has tools specifically added to overcome your first problem. You can see I recently posted a cell division example to facebook (the one with the red/hairy cells) where the new cells have no artifacts, because the new cells are not actually derived from the split halves of the old cells, despite that being how it looks. What's happening is this:

I start with a clean geosphere and initialize it as cloth. Then after x time I convert back to geo, split with voronoi, and then (this is the trick), I spawn a new geosphere at the location of the voro fractures, convert those new geospheres to cloth and then wrap them to the voro fragments and delete the voro fragments. As they expand due to inflation forces, they don't take the shape of expanded voro fragments with wonky subdivided topology, but instead the perfect shape of the geospheres from which they were created. Rinse and repeat over and over.

The new "Move to Target" operator of the next build is what allows this, where you can tell particles to move to the surface point of the mesh of their target particle. This is how the wrapping is done.

So hang tight until the next build.

As for self collisions, hopefully solid mesh collisions will be added sometime in the near future so you won't have to worry about Particle Physics shenanigans for cloth at all. No ETA on that though.
Brilliant, that sounds like a great solution. I'll be refreshing eagerly for the next build!
(08-20-2019, 02:47 AM)tyFlow Wrote: You can see I recently posted a cell division example to facebook (the one with the red/hairy cells) 

Err... where exactly is that test? 
I can't find my way around facebook.
(08-20-2019, 09:29 AM)d4rk3lf Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 02:47 AM)tyFlow Wrote: You can see I recently posted a cell division example to facebook (the one with the red/hairy cells) 

Err... where exactly is that test? 
I can't find my way around facebook.

It is in the TyFlow group (sorry if that is obvious). Posted Aug. 14th by Tyson.
(08-20-2019, 03:14 PM)sdewitt108 Wrote: It is in the TyFlow group (sorry if that is obvious). Posted Aug. 14th by Tyson.

No, sorry you. :Smile
I don't have facebook, but I've used my girlfriends, and finally saw the test. 

That was pretty awesome! Cloth, splitting and everything. 
Looks very organic. 

I wonder, if we can make "cheaper" (but faster to set up) version of it. 
Basically, Spawning cells (big spheres (with noise)), and on top of them, small spheres with various sizes (traveling on the big spheres (object bind), and give them ty mesher, so when they spread, we have that organic split up. 

Don't have time now to try it, hopefully I have soon.