Reference Coordination System for Rasterize and spread operator
Hi,

I think it would be very helpful if you can pick a reference coordination system (particle space, object space (object pickable), world space, ...) for the rasterize and spread operator(s). Especially if you have multiple position objects with different orientations, this would be extreme helpful.

Greetings
Particle/world space switch would make sense in the spread operator, sure. Doesn't really make sense in the rasterize operator though. All particles are at [0,0,0] in their own space, so there's nothing to rasterize.
I got that that case with the rasterize op.

I set up a flow in a scene where I positioned particles on a plane and rasterized them afterwards. Then some other operators and events followed ...

In the next scene I wanted to merge that flow and apply the effect to another plane, but in this scene the plane got another orientation. So now I had to flip arround the X Y Z values of the rasterize op until i got the desired result.
Keep in mind all the Rasterize op is doing is rounding position values. So if you need a custom solution you can easily achieve the same thing in the Script operator. You can use a Fuse operator after (with the radius set to a tiny value so it only picks up perfectly coincident particles) to clean up the overlapping particles.

To rasterize manually, you'd do something like:

Code:
Point3 pos = tf.GetPos(sInx);

float rasterScale = 1.5f;
pos.x = Mathf.Floor(pos.x/rasterScale )*rasterScale;
pos.y = Mathf.Floor(pos.y/rasterScale )*rasterScale;
pos.z = Mathf.Floor(pos.z/rasterScale )*rasterScale;

tf.SetPos(sInx, pos);

And you can transform your position values into whatever coordinate system you'd like, before and after the operation.
Thank you for your care and support. I really appreciate that.

I would prefer the operators to cover most of the cases. Scripting is not everybodys darling. Me as an artist and much other artists I know like to realize their creative ideas with production ready tools. We are no programmers. I don't want to deny that programming is a useful skill. That's not the point. It's just the last way to achieve something very far from basic if nothing else would work. Learning programming, scripting or coding, however you want it to call, is something which needs a lot of time and work. This is nothing if you only need it for a short task from time to time. Learning the syntax is the one thing, thinking in code in a way a programmer does, is the other. Not every artist is inclined to that. Especially when you don't need it all the time, things become forgotten and have to be learned again. That slows down workflows and doesn't give a good feeling working with that tool.

I don't want to argue, I just want to make my point clear to you. So everything is fine Smile.