Punch holes using particles.
Bug 
Hi Everyone.
I am trying to create science animation where particles are creating holes in an object as they pass through it.
Sort of like a stream of ball bearings being fired at a large piece of paper, and creating holes in it.

I have looked around for tutorials and info to do this, but no luck. I am sure it is probably pretty simple, but I can't work it out.

Can anyone help, please. Much Appreciated.

V.
If you just want the holes to be removed from the surface, you could do that using VDBs (subtract the bearing particle volumes from the paper volume).

If you want actual tearing...that gets more complicated. You could use the Cloth tearing solver or PhysX tyParticleSkin tearing methods. Both are shown in the official example files.
Hi TY
Thanks for your reply. I think the VDBs are going to work for me.
There's just 2 things not quite right.

1. Really I wanted the particle to remove the part of the mesh that it passes through. To create see through holes, rather than dents, but I guess this is achieved with tearing methods, right? Anyway for what I am doing I can make dents work okay.

2. Not all particles are creating holes. Maybe only 1 in 10, is there anyway to control this. It seems slowing the particles down helps, but I need them moving quite fast.

Truly amazing software, but so much to learn, so excuse my many questions.
V.
Removing is simple...and if you have fast-moving particles, just drop the time step down. The lower the time step, the more accurate the results. See attached.

Attached Files
.max   swissCheese.max (Size: 708 KB / Downloads: 132)
That scene is exactly what I am trying to do, thanks. Smile