Mapping by velocity magnitude cannot understand how it works
Hi, i'm trying to change the color of a particle based on its velocity.

I ve got a simple flow with one cube that fall down just to see how the color change.

A mapping operator set to mapping by velocity magnitude in continuous mode

I've also added a display data just to see the velocity magnitude

I applied a material with a gradient from blu pos 0 to red pos 100.

I espect to see the cube start from blue than reach the red color at maximum velocity and turn back to blu while it slow down.

Instead it start blu become something like purple color than stay red just for one frame near the end.

Red at velocity magnitude 0.1

Blue\violette at velocity magnitude 12.

I'm obviously doing something wrong and not understanding how it works. I've tried also with normalize but cannot find a solution

What i'm doing wrong? 

Thanks for the support

As it often happen after hours of trying I stop for a while and I understand how to have control on it, just few minutes after the post...I need to be more patient  Angry 

I read the values in the Display data to find aproximately the maximum velocity magnitude.
Than i set it in the max normalize value of the mapping operator. Now all make sense and i can control the simulation behaviour as I expect.

Basically what tyson show in the UVW Gradient example but with velocity magnitude instead of frame age.

I've also removed the tiling from the gradient map to avoid starting with the wrong color.

To me now it seams correct, is this the right way to do it?

Thanks

Don't know why it incorporate the reply in the previous post.

Sorry if i'm doing something wrong, i'm pretty noob to forum.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)