TyFlow particles interacting with Phoenix FD liquid?
I have this animation where a bunch of syrup is pouring over a pile of Gummi bears and I now want to toss some TyFlow "sprinkles" onto the pile. I need the sprinkles to collide with the surface of the liquid mesh and then stick to it and then travel with the surface of the mesh as is settles and spreads. At the moment I have NO IDEA how to set this up. Help please?

Attached Files
.mp4   GummiBears_V08_Perspective_preview_v019.mp4 (Size: 12.21 MB / Downloads: 19)
Have you tried object bind (snap to surface)?
Since you don't need 2 way interaction, because "sprinlles" are so light, and will basically just stick to the mesh, object bind might be perfect solution.

You first make sprinkles particle fall (with gravity (and perhaps some turbulent wind) on to the surface, and then you can use surface test (phoenix mesh), to test particles that are touching the phoenix mesh, and then move them to another event where you have object bind (snap to surface) referencing the same phoenix mesh.
d4 I got this to work with your help! I think I was tired and I was over-complicating it before. For some reason I had put a PhysX Shape operator on the sprinkles which was causing them to not "see" the surface of the liquid. I was also using a Collision operator instead of a Surface Test. Not sure how much that had to do with anything. But it's working for now so I'm gonna call it good Smile
(04-29-2024, 12:55 PM)d4rk3lf Wrote: Have you tried object bind (snap to surface)?
Since you don't need 2 way interaction, because "sprinlles" are so light, and will basically just stick to the mesh, object bind might be perfect solution.

You first make sprinkles particle fall (with gravity (and perhaps some turbulent wind)  on to the surface, and then you can use surface test (phoenix mesh), to test particles that are touching the phoenix mesh, and then move them to another event where you have object bind (snap to surface) referencing the same phoenix mesh.

How would that work? Isn't phoenix mesh topology constantly changing? I tried this - object bind and surface lock but it doesn't work. Sad
Ahh.. I think you're correct. 
In that case.. maybe it's a good idea creating one flow referencing Phoenix FD with Birth Fluid, and Fluid force... so we have a bunch of particles that we are working with. 
And create another flow for "sprinkles", that every particle will detect if it's close to any particle from the first flow, and if it is, to link it to that particle. 

Although, I think in OP Case, he needs "sprinkles" after the whole sim (moving of the liquid) is already done, so in this case he can just surface test them, and add operator stop, or slow, after they get very close to liquid. 
(04-29-2024, 08:57 PM)pikok Wrote: How would that work? Isn't phoenix mesh topology constantly changing? I tried this - object bind and surface lock but it doesn't work. Sad
yes, you are both correct that the original method did not work. I thought it was working but when I rendered a play-blast I quickly realized that the particles started jumping around on the surface of the fluid mesh. This is obviously due to the fact that the topology of that mesh is constantly changing, as stated by pikok.
What I wound up doing was actually super simple: I just detected Collison with the fluid mesh (using PhysX Collision) and then passed to a new even where the collision was continued and I added a Slow operator to super slow down any movement . I also updated the PhysX Collision to reduce the relative size of the collision hull so that the sprinkles appear to settle into the fluid mesh a little bit.

It's definitely a bit of a smoke and mirrors technique but the result is pretty good Smile