falloff map for distribution-alternative?
hi all, doing droplets on a can, client has asked for less particles on edges of can. 

im currently using a bitmap in "position object" to place particles on surface, and thought i could just run that through a falloff map set to fresnel,   to remove edge particles .. 

falloff map does not seem to do anything at all...    any suggestions?
You can use gradient ramp map, and get similar effect as falloff.
(05-04-2019, 12:28 PM)d4rk3lf Wrote: You can use gradient ramp map, and get similar effect as falloff.

hm, well for me it doesnt work.     the only way i know to get falloff  effects in gradient ramp is to use "mapped" mode with a falloff map inside that..   the moment i add a falloff map to the gradient ramp, i get no particle output.
You can't use falloff, because it's "render based" map.
The only way I can think of, is using gradient ramp, and try making gradient to be more white on the center of the cylinder can, and go gradient to black on edges. You can use planar mapping for that.
You need to create gradient ramp something like this:
https://photoshopcafe.com/wp-content/upl...der001.jpg

That above approach is, if your camera don't move around the can... if it moves... well, not sure how to achieve that.
Maybe render falloff, that you will use as a mask in some composite app.
(05-04-2019, 03:07 PM)d4rk3lf Wrote: You can't use falloff, because it's "render based" map.
The only way I can think of, is using gradient ramp, and try making gradient to be more white  on the center of the cylinder can, and go gradient to black on edges. You can use planar mapping for that.
You need to create gradient ramp something like this:
https://photoshopcafe.com/wp-content/upl...der001.jpg

That above approach is, if your camera don't move around the can... if it moves... well, not sure how to achieve that.
Maybe render falloff, that you will use as a mask in some composite app.

seems the key would be to render the falloff map..  

good suggestion

thanks...