Crashes when running out of memory when caching
Hey,

Im having an issue with max crashing. I have a particle sim with 5 million particles which i want to multiply using the cache operator. (prt) The problem is before it starts saving the auto cache will cache the whole timeline and crashes during this. (CTD with no error window) It also crashes when i scrub my timeline to the end to trigger the auto cache. (gets to about frame 165) It seems to work if i reduce the amount of particles, however i didnt think 5 million would be a prohibitively expensive amount. I have 32gb ram and during the cache process all of it gets filled but it should just start using the page file shouldnt it? I found a work around by splitting the sim into 2 caches, but its an extra hassle.

Which operators use up the most memory? I have some fluid force operators to drive the motion but i also have a test properties operator. The test properties does a distance check on every particle to see if there is another one next to it. (tiny test distance) If the test equals true, then it adds an incremental float which is then read back by the mapping operator to control the color gradient.

Thanks

P.S. It would be really helpful to have a "skip existing files" flag in the prt cache operator.
Why not disable cache before export?

In the future I plan on having the cache be a bit smarter overall, so you won't necessarily need to do that.
Ha! well i feel like an idiot.... . I tried disabling some of the channels from the "cache channels" page and the export operator told me they needed to be active to save properly so i assumed that was the case with the timeline cache as well. This time around it only used 8gb, time to crank it up more! Big Grin

Thanks again.

P.S. which is faster, caching more particles less times or caching less particles more times?