Smoke without Phoenix?
is there a way to make ok looking smoke with Ty Flow only ? No other plugins like phoenix or fumefx ?
I'd say:
depends on the type of smoke.

You can easily create something like this;
https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2018/03...00-c85.jpg

However, for larger and thicker smoke, like this:
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/d980...6b3d029e98

I can't say impossible, but much harder, at least much harder with all the details, and you need a lots of particles, and you need to be prepared for a long render times.
I think that devailo jast want get full Fluid system in tyflow. haha...
i'm not looking for a complicated or hyper realistic smoke. i need something like this :

can it be done and how ?

In Pflow it was done with shape facing .. but cant find it here in TyFlow. Also how would i make it dissapear slowly and fading? the old way was to use particle age with blend materials or something which dont work with vray well.
I made you quick scene file with particles facing the camera, and smoke procedural material 

As for the animation itself, It should be fairly easy, but involves a lots of simple tasks. 
Try emitting from the tire surface, with some inherited movement, speed to push particles up, and gravity to push them slowly down, after some time. 
You'll need probably few winds for variation and some more manual direction.

Attached Files
.zip   Ty_flow_face_2017.zip (Size: 160.83 KB / Downloads: 480)
oh lord.. never thought this would be in "rotation" Big Grin thanks. You shouldn't have gone trough all the trouble to set up a scene.

Next question. How do i make the already kind of transparent smoke disappear? From another topic i got the idea of how to make it fade away with the custom properties set particle age frames. And mapping with a gradient. But i also want to add a radial gradient or the procedural smoke you made in the scene you provided. i tried doing the one in opacity and the other in refraction with Ior set to 1.0 and in mapping channel 2 but it doesnt work. Ideas?
Try do them both in opacity with a composite map
what i have now is a gradient ramp in diffuse
and want to put for transparency a gradient ramp and a gradient .

The problem i think now is that the way to make it work like particle age is only with gradient ramp. It clashes some way with the radial gradient and ... i dunno maybe the answer is something with the map channels but i dont understand the logic that far.

When i tried the composite map again it failed because it clashed with the gradient.

EDIT:never mind. i made it work. I put the gradient ramp in channel 2 and the mapping settings in channel 2 , the radial gradient remains in map channel 1 and is mask in a composite map for the black and white gradient ramp which makes it disappear.
Hi, i accidentally made a decent smoke by linking the wrong events. I am quite happy with it BUT there is a new problem. Dont know if it is because of the high volume of the smoke (the many particles) but the particles dont really fadeout anymore. They just turn white and stay there until are deleted. You can see in the screenshot and the alpha channel.

https://i.imgur.com/b4qe0GA.jpg

When i increase the step size in the spawn by travel section and when the particle number drops down, the white smoke dissapears. could it be a bug this ? or something im not doing right?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tqwav96vg4qbv...t.mp4?dl=0

here you can see its not working exactly correct. for some reason its getting whiter ...
(05-31-2019, 08:13 AM)devailo Wrote: Dont know if it is because of the high volume of the smoke (the many particles) but the particles dont really fadeout anymore. They just turn white and stay there until are deleted. 

Hi, could it be that you need to set the amount of depth-levels in your render settings for calculating alpha?

*would really find it interesting to see how you got this far tho! Wink