Noise operator?
Hi,

This might already be possible, but just wondering if it would be hard to add a noise operator to particles with offsets? Similar to simple noise controllers for position, rotation and scale. 

Loving tyflow,

cheers!
Can you describe how that would be different than the existing Force operator noise/turbulence settings?
(08-05-2019, 01:30 AM)tyFlow Wrote: Can you describe how that would be different than the existing Force operator noise/turbulence settings?

Sorry, maybe the Force operator is the way to do it and I just don't know how to use it properly. 

An example would be having some particles scattered on the surface of an object and then either moving to random positions around it's current one, or rotating back and forth, or scaling up and down. All from there original transform, so they don't actually get blown away with turbulence, it happens as an offset, similar to how max's 'noise controllers' work.
You can achieve that kind of setup with a Force operator....to prevent particles from blowing away, just restore their original position at the beginning of the time step and reset the velocity each frame as well.
Another way to achiev that is to use a wind force with zero strenght for the wind, but with a specified value for the turbulence only.

Another way is to create a plane or any other geometry object and apply a standard 3dsmax noise modifier to it. Then pick this object as position object for your particles or you can directly use the surface birth operator.
Now the particles whobble along the noise the noise-modifier applys to the object. When you hide the geo object it looks like the particles do that movement by their own.

Another way is, that Tyson just adds a simple noise operator, to protect his customers from having to make annoying workarounds :p.
(08-07-2019, 10:41 PM)tyFlow Wrote: You can achieve that kind of setup with a Force operator....to prevent particles from blowing away, just restore their original position at the beginning of the time step and reset the velocity each frame as well.

Cheers! I don't exactly know how to do that, would that still work with rotation and scale as well? 

The noise operator would work similar to the 'Animated Geometry' feature in the shape operator, but instead of using animation from a modifier, it could use maxes 'noise controllers' or something similar in TyFlow. 

Cheers!

(08-08-2019, 06:21 AM)TubeSmokeGuy Wrote: Another way to achiev that is to use a wind force with zero strenght for the wind, but with a specified value for the turbulence only.

Another way is to create a plane or any other geometry object and apply a standard 3dsmax noise modifier to it. Then pick this object as position object for your particles or you can directly use the surface birth operator.
Now the particles whobble along the noise the noise-modifier applys to the object. When you hide the geo object it looks like the particles do that movement by their own.

Another way is, that Tyson just adds a simple noise operator, to protect his customers from having to make annoying workarounds :p.

Thanks for the tips. 

I tried zero strength for wind but it still blows them away. 

That object noise is a good work around, but I think only for position?

Would be good to rotate and scale randomly with noise, like a pulse or throb effect.
(08-07-2019, 10:41 PM)tyFlow Wrote: You can achieve that kind of setup with a Force operator....to prevent particles from blowing away, just restore their original position at the beginning of the time step and reset the velocity each frame as well.

Hi Tyson,

I have also been wondering how to best achieve this type of setup quickly/easily (where particles kind of 'wobble' around their original positions).
Can you please expand a little on your example regarding restoring the position and resetting velocity?

Many thanks,

-Dustsounds

Hello there. I'd love to archive that but I am lost in your explication about "restore their original position at the beginning of the time step and reset the velocity each frame as well." Could you, please, explain it more in depth so we can follow all your steps?

I really need a "noise" operator or something that allow me to make a parametric "shake" effect in each particle.

Thank you so much.
Save their position with a Custom Properties operator (timing set to entry), then restore it each frame with a Custom Properties operator retrieving the data from the channel you saved it to (timing set to Continuous). Then add a Stop operator above your force operator (timing set to continuous as well).

This will store an original location for your particles, and also restore that position each frame, and also clear out any assigned velocities on the prior frame. After those operators, add a Force operator with whatever noise settings you like. That setup will cause particles to jitter in place.
You can also use object bind operator.
Make a sphere, add a noise, animate noise however you like.
Then in Tyflow...
- Birth (at zero frame (start and end), as many particles as you like).
- Position object (pick a sphere)
- Object bind (pick a sphere), and set it to surface (snap to surface)

Now, they will be stuck on the surface of the sphere, and will follow it's animation.
You can add a force (turbulent wind), and lower object bind force to zero, and they will swirl around the sphere, but no particle fill leave it's surface.
(08-22-2021, 11:14 AM)d4rk3lf Wrote: You can also use object bind operator.
Make a sphere, add a noise, animate noise however you like.
Then in Tyflow...
- Birth (at zero frame (start and end), as many particles as you like).
- Position object (pick a sphere)
- Object bind (pick a sphere), and set it to surface (snap to surface)

Now, they will be stuck on the surface of the sphere, and will follow it's animation.
You can add a force (turbulent wind), and lower object bind force to zero, and they will swirl around the sphere, but no particle fill leave it's surface.

Hi. I am seeing a similar problem. The idea is simple:

A moving sphere with particles flying around it.
I made a birth, then I positioned the particles over sphere, I added Force to swirl the particles and I added Object Bind.
I tried addind the Force after the Bind but I get the same. The particles are sticked on the surface. I reduced the Friction but then the particles started to not follow the entire movement of the sphere. And if zero, the particles kept the force but still in the first position.

Any toughts??