tyFlow Forum
Excessive cloth stretching - Printable Version

+- tyFlow Forum (https://forum.tyflow.com)
+-- Forum: tyFlow Discussion (https://forum.tyflow.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.tyflow.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Excessive cloth stretching (/thread-3791.html)

Excessive cloth stretching - VoiTech - 07-30-2023

Good morning everyone!

I`m having issue with cloth simulation that is bothering me for a while now....
I want to simulate cloth that is connected in 6 points (all corners, and two points in the middle of the longer sides).
My goal is to animate a cloth that is folding itself, but whatever sertting I am using, the cloth is geting stretched excessively.
Is there a way to better control the stretchiness?

I have tried all variations of settings in Cloth Bind node, set time steps to max, tried with CUDA collider and still nothing... 

My main goal is to have that fabric stretched between anchor points so it will be almost flat, and the cloth bending only where it is supposed to bend (with slight influence of gravity for whole objerct)

What are your settings for this kind of simulation?

RE: Excessive cloth stretching - Alexx31 - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 07:47 AM)VoiTech Wrote: What are your settings for this kind of simulation?

Hello, did you compare the example files of tyflow? as "tyflow flag"
There is a "flag" example with "read me" explanation

And your cloth stiffness isn't really high: The maximum value is 2! The flag example has 0,95
Maybe also more Damping.
Maybe it's closer to a "paper fold" simulation, just for a different approach to search tutorials.
(But I'm no cloth expert...; )

RE: Excessive cloth stretching - VoiTech - 07-31-2023

(07-30-2023, 12:15 PM)Alexx31 Wrote:
(07-30-2023, 07:47 AM)VoiTech Wrote: What are your settings for this kind of simulation?

Hello, did you compare the example files of tyflow? as "tyflow flag"
There is a "flag" example with "read me" explanation

And your cloth stiffness isn't really high: The maximum value is 2! The flag example has 0,95
Maybe also more Damping.
Maybe it's closer to a "paper fold" simulation, just for a different approach to search tutorials.
(But I'm no cloth expert...; )

Hey hey, yes, I have tried to use same settings in my project as they have been set in flag example, unfortunatelly it doesn`t change much (even in the sample file itself the flag seems to stretch a bit). Regards settings, those are only current settings for a time being as when I was doing the screenshoot, tried to crank this value up to the max and down to 0 but it wouldn`t give me expected results...

One thing that seem to change stufs closer towards my expected results is when In clothBind node, in binding properties I`m tweaking damping and lenght bias, it seems to get more tense, but then the edges are getting pulled invards as in the screenshoot below....

I have noticed that there is an option to use map for lenght bias so may set something with that...

RE: Excessive cloth stretching - Alexx31 - 07-31-2023

(07-31-2023, 07:12 AM)VoiTech Wrote:
(07-30-2023, 12:15 PM)Alexx31 Wrote:

Hey hey, yes, I have tried to use same settings in my project as they have been set in flag example, unfortunatelly it doesn`t change much...
- I think, you need not only two small points for dragging, you need a complete line, which is stabilizing the area where you drag the cloth.
And another line where the fold should crease. With a soft binding (springs).
I would google for any cloth folding tutorials, because the general technique is independent from the tool.

- If that doesn't work, you could bind cloth to a mesh, which is rigged, then you get full control (but don't ask me about the settings and exact workflow).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfXcEPL5zGY

- Ask in the Facebook Forum. Show your setup but also show an example of what you would like to achieve.
I am pretty sure that someone has once done a cloth folding animation.
The topic is interesting for everyone...