Particle arrival direction and orientation alignment.
Hello

I have been trying to achieve the effect which simulates birds arriving at the branches of a tree.
The tree branch is physX so there is interaction between trees and the birds. 
The problem is that  I'm stuck now  how to make the particles arrive only from the top of each branch side  in order to land properly.

How to make them arrive to landing only from one angle. I remember, from Pflow times,  that there was an option in find target op.  to make particles arrive only from object normal  side.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Best
Chris
Can you describe a bit more what you mean by "arrive to landing only from one angle"? Maybe a diagram of what you mean?
(09-08-2022, 01:05 AM)tyFlow Wrote: Can you describe a bit more what you mean by "arrive to landing only from one angle"? Maybe a diagram of what you mean?

Hey Tyson,

Please find attached diagram

Thanks
Best
Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I see, hmm yea that's a tough one. To impose a constraint like that ("do not approach branch from below a certain angle") is a complex problem that involves more math than the Find Target operator is designed to process. That kind of problem comes with all kinds of weird corner cases...like, if the bird is flying up to the branch from below it, how should it go around to the top? What if the branch turns or rotates when the bird is close? Should it adjust course? At what distance away from the branch should the bird be allowed to land on the top of it? A realistic solution would involve complex steering behaviors and more situational awareness for the particle than the Find Target operator can currently provide.

If the effect is achievable in PFlow like you mention, perhaps you can show a basic playblast of it in action? Just to get an idea of the type of result you'd get...