Buoyancy force needed
(07-27-2023, 01:50 PM)tyFlow Wrote: The PhysX Fluid operator has buoyancy settings.

This operator works with Phoenix FD and creates two-way interactions between particles and fluid. You'll get the effect you want with particles righting themselves as they float to the top of a fluid surface.

I'm not sure a dedicated non-fluid-based buoyancy operator is really worth the effort, to be honest. Plus you can fake buoyancy in a variety of other ways, if you really need the effect to happen without an accompanying fluid sim (see attached). The basic idea is to move particles up if they're under a surface, and down if they're over it...you can also add surface alignment effects like I do in the example posted.

Thank you for your response and the example file!

I was doing the reasoning the same way that you explained but with my three day long experience with TyFlow I was not able to get the correct results.
I try to take a good look at it and make it work with PhysX Shape when I get more comfortable with the tool, with fracturing ice and all.

In the project that I'm going to work with includes vast ice covered ocean scenes with ice breaker action breaking the ice sheets in realistic manner, also with closeups. It will incorporate water simulation but I am worried about the length and scale of the animations that we have to produce considering the Phoenix simulations and I would like to minimize heavy simulations due to short production times.

I guess I will try to plan the scenes so that I have lighter solution in large scale scenes and Phoenix FD simulation in closeups.

Messages In This Thread
Buoyancy force needed - by Maxuser - 07-27-2023, 07:44 AM
RE: Buoyancy force needed - by tyFlow - 07-27-2023, 01:50 PM
RE: Buoyancy force needed - by Maxuser - 07-28-2023, 10:22 AM