Bind particles to another group without moving?
Is there a way to use particle bind (non-physx) to bind one particle group to another, and have one of the two groups to stay locked in place?  I'm using position object to scatter group 1 of particles along the surface of geo, then want group 2 to bind to those base on proximity but not affect the movement of group 1.  The logic would be similar to using an object (surface) bind, but allowing the binding to happen on event entry and let those bindings persist.  The issue with using object bind is that when set to event entry only the bind turns off, but if set to continuous it keeps evaluating the binding proximity on every step.  

Every method I've tried using particle binds so far has the undesired effect of my group 1 particles getting taken "along for the ride" with group 2.  What I want is group 2 to get "stuck" to group 1 but group 1 never move.
Have you looked into the example files demonstrating particle linking?

Also I'm not really sure what you're trying to describe. Perhaps post a screenshot or something.
Hi Tyson,

Here's a screenshot and preview of a simplified flow showing that I'm trying to do.  I want the particles of group 1 (ticks, surface pos on plane) to not move when group 2 is bound to them.  

https://vimeo.com/357577717

I'll check out the particle linking examples now.  Thanks!

It's also worth mentioning that I've created similar setups using PhysX Bind but can't get the same behavior using Particle Bind.
(09-03-2019, 02:30 AM)tyFlow Wrote: Have you looked into the example files demonstrating particle linking?

Also I'm not really sure what you're trying to describe. Perhaps post a screenshot or something.

Tyson,

I checked out the particle linking examples.  Very cool stuff and I can see using that for other situations for sure.  However in this setup I need some of the other features that particle binds offer, such as breaking and non-rigid attachment.
For the binds, are you remember to de-activate the particles you want locked in place with a Particle Switch operator?
(09-04-2019, 02:15 AM)tyFlow Wrote: For the binds, are you remember to de-activate the particles you want locked in place with a Particle Switch operator?

Bingo!  That works.  Thanks Tyson.