really nice animation
https://vimeo.com/7938474

Any tips to get started building something like this?
Pretty cool. I would guess that these are multiple scenes tied into one in a compositing program in the end (some cuts are obvious, some not so much). The first part of the scene (molecules that turn into a shark and then rush the camera) is where i would start. Animating a shark model and having particles take its shape is pretty easy for the most part. Also the effects of the particles trailing behind the shark is also kind of easy. There are a few tutorials on YT that are about morphing objects using particles, some in Tyflow, most are not though, but the principle is the same (in regards to Pflow) The second scene (Animated camels morphing into butterflies) is pretty much the same process as the first scene. You can find many tutorials on YT on how to do most things with particles in 3DS Max that cover individual parts of the scenes in the video. You may have to watch tons of them to pick and pull pieces of the info you need from them and apply them to such designs of your own. I've been doing it for about 20 years.

Anyways, heres a good starting point imo (assuming your familiar with 3DS Max already).
You can skip the Element3D part if you dont use After Effects.

I'm sure on your own you will find the resources you need to fulfill what it is you want to create.
Good luck and have fun!