Moving particles from one object to another... in order...
Hey Tyson...

Imagine a sphere, with particles covering its surface and below that, a plane, with particles also covering the surface.

As the sphere gets closer to that plane, i need the particles from the sphere to move towards the plane and position themselves in the exact same manner as the original particles on the plane, WHILE pushing the existing ones away to make room for themselves.

How can i do that, preferably without scripting, as that's a "no-go" for me ?
Hope my description make sense but if it doesn't, attached is the best example available on the internet, made by Hybrid using TP...

Thanks for any help...
Greg

Attached Files
.mp4   Transcytosis.mp4 (Size: 5.58 MB / Downloads: 193)
Hi Gregory,

I can't think of an obvious way to approach this kind of setup that excludes all forms of scripting. You could try it just by manipulating colliders and local forces, so as the floating particle approaches the particles on the bed they get pulled off by it and the nature of the repulsive forces between the particles spreads them out around the floating particle...but then getting them to re-join the next bed of particles and doing it all in such a controlled manner will be very difficult without the precise control that scripting offers.
(04-27-2020, 05:23 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Hi Gregory,

I can't think of an obvious way to approach this kind of setup that excludes all forms of scripting. You could try it just by manipulating colliders and local forces, so as the floating particle approaches the particles on the bed they get pulled off by it and the nature of the repulsive forces between the particles spreads them out around the floating particle...but then getting them to re-join the next bed of particles and doing it all in such a controlled manner will be very difficult without the precise control that scripting offers.

Thanks; i had a feeling this wouldn't be a straight forward approach without scripting.

So, what are the parts that scripting can do / control, that regular operators cannot?

Perhaps, some chunks of code that could do those bits, would be nice to have and start building a preset library?
Kind of like PFlow's Data Presets?
You can try this.

Here in my thread, drawer14 attached a file where coins go in order, one by one.
http://forum.tyflow.com/thread-813.html

So, using the same principle, you first make a sphere scene with particles going at exactly places on the plane bellow.
Then - very importantly you add a mesh operator, and uncheck render only. That way, you are making them just like any other 3DS Max mesh.
You create a new Tyflow with particles on the plane where you need them, you add them a PhysX, and add a PhysX Collision where you pick your first particle flow.
This way, the first particle Tyflow should push the second Tyflow.
It won't be 2 way interaction, but that's maybe what you wanted. Smile
Hey, lovely coins and render!

Yeah, was experimenting with physX collisions, but i have a feeling there's a more elegant solution to this, than brute force collisions to get those particles in line nice and smooth. There are ways to cheat this and get it done, but the goal here would be to get this done the "correct" fully procedural way...
(04-28-2020, 05:38 PM)Gregory Wrote: Hey, lovely coins and render!

Thanks. 
Though, I like Drawer14 solution better, and I wish I had know it before I created coins. 

Not sure what you want exactly, and what you mean by elegant. If you don't want a PhysX collision, then just move them (gently) where you want them without PhysX. 
Operators like custom properties, find target, particles properties, surface test, etc are your friends. 
You can try using neighbors in particle properties operator, to test particles distance, and move them. 

Again, not really sure what exact motion you want there, but should be doable without problem. Smile
(04-29-2020, 10:32 AM)d4rk3lf Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 05:38 PM)Gregory Wrote: Hey, lovely coins and render!

Thanks. 
Though, I like Drawer14 solution better, and I wish I had know it before I created coins. 

Not sure what you want exactly, and what you mean by elegant. If you don't want a PhysX collision, then just move them (gently) where you want them without PhysX. 
Operators like custom properties, find target, particles properties, surface test, etc are your friends. 
You can try using neighbors in particle properties operator, to test particles distance, and move them. 

Again, not really sure what exact motion you want there, but should be doable without problem. Smile

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll give it a try, but tbh any kind of solution (clean or not) that can get me the result in that posted video, would make me very happy.
That particular setup troubles me for quite some time now.