Car Crash
Hey TyFlowers, 

Here is a quick animation playing around with TyFlow.

https://youtu.be/JwTn68bBupM

The crash was hand-animated, along with the hood crumple.  The glass is TyFlow fracturing the side windows and then getting knocked by a proxy of the truck.

I'd love to push this further by having TyFlow do the crumpling.  So I'm looking into the Rigid Deformations.  Ty, I don't suppose you have a car rig setup just lying around as a sample... huh? Smile

~tsp

Just found your car tutorial on the YouTubes Smile
Todd Sheridan Perry
Director - Teaspoon Media, Inc
VFX Supervisor - TeaspoonVFX
Senior Tech Writer - Animation Magazine
Nice. When I saw Tyson's car crash setup on youtube I flipped.. I did all of the metal crumple deformations for the train wreck sequence in "Super 8" with max cloth skinwrap drivers and progressive morphs.. it was brutal. I can see redoing that in a fraction of the time with tyFlow.

https://vimeo.com/53828978#t=43s Those three shots alone took forever to sim and not crash max lol

If you do the crumples in tyFlow, I'd love to see the setup. Smile
Wow Justin, those shots turned out great!
Will do!
Here is a test with one of my car models from the previous scene, run through Ty's skinning and rigid deformation process.  The models definitely need to be adjusted for the simulation.  That's nothing new.  I get feedback from Houdini artists all the time that they need their models water-tight and no intersections.  And it just makes sense.

https://youtu.be/tOG2DeFNiQY

No engine under the hood!

To have two separate cars (ala the T-Bone crash) would I be looking to setup two different actors?
Todd Sheridan Perry
Quote:would I be looking to setup two different actors?

Only if you want the cars to be different.

Otherwise, just spawn the same tyActor on 2 different actor particles traveling in opposite directions. Think of it as a crowd sim, except with cars.
Sweet. Didn't take you too long. Smile

I actually disagree entirely about the watertight model comment.. in all of my years destroying things, you always get a better result when mimicking reality. Doors pop, hoods buckle and open. Just throw some nurnies under there. Lighting and motion blur take care of the rest imho. Another huge problem is that most metal simulations look too rubbery. Metal creases and pinches. This is why I use driver meshes with topology only where I want it to bend, very high shear tolerances, and no other details so as to avoid the look of a mesh with a noise modifier on it.

I'm curious how the particle approach handles things like this. Like, can you force it to absolutely not shear at all or is there a limit to it where you will always get some?

In either case, this is looking great and seems to come together pretty fast.
@MeHoo

will you please share file scene with me ?
@MeHoo - That reel is incredible!
Sorry didn't mean to thread hijack.. that's my old reel anyways fellas.

I don't have a scene file but TeaspoonVFX does.. c'mon .. Smile
I guess I should have clarified that the pieces need to be watertight -- rather than the whole car.  But if you're doing a convexhull shell with a bullet (or PhysX) solver, then you aren't using the actual geo.  I did have to move some pieces of the interior around -- they were intersecting with the rear wheels, so the wheels were getting pushed out sideways at the beginning of the scene.

Taking your lead, MeHoo, I would thinkwe could maybe pre-score the model, rather than using a voronoi, to create the driving bones for the skin.  It'd take another layer of complexity to get popping doors and breaking glass.  But I'm looking into it.

And how dare you hijack this thread Smile

Here is the scene file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6c4c0a4ibrufh...0.max?dl=0
Todd Sheridan Perry
Ohhh yes totally. I look forward to seeing that. For some stuff I think it really helps. Others it's kinda pointless. I'm gonna have to try this soon
Thanks alot man, am looking for improving this by animating the car in Mad car or director then add sparticle spark on impact.