How to select FACES by Material ID? Bug at Alembic export? some questions :)
Question 
Hello,
I'm trying to separate inner faces after fracturing.

When I select by material ID with property test, it takes all chunks not only the faces of that ID. Is that right?

I had also seen, I can check "Selection > Select cap faces", but I don't now how to select them.
How?

my main task is to find out how export different material IDs with alembic to Maya.
But material IDs were gone lost.
So the only way I can see currently, to export mesh parts.
Is there another way?

BUG with Alembic export:

Then there is a bug, that I have to reimport the exported alembic into 3dsMax and again to export from Max as alembic
Otherwise Maya immediately fatally crashes (2020.3)

Thanks!
Are you trying to separate them as a workaround for (4)? Or for some other reason?

tyFlow uses the latest ABC library and exports data just fine. Both Maya and Max's ABC importers/exporters are outdated and (depending on which version of Max/Maya you are using) broken. Luckily, their outdated implementations are somewhat compatible with each other so if you're trying to interop from Max to Maya you can use the builtin ABC exporter. Until the Maya devs solve their own ABC import issues there's not much that can be done. I have no way of figuring out why their importer is crashing despite other ABC importers in other software working just fine with tyFlow data.
(12-16-2020, 07:12 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Are you trying to separate them as a workaround for (4)? Or for some other reason?

tyFlow uses the latest ABC library and exports data just fine. Both Maya and Max's ABC importers/exporters are outdated and (depending on which version of Max/Maya you are using) broken. Luckily, their outdated implementations are somewhat compatible with each other so if you're trying to interop from Max to Maya you can use the builtin ABC exporter. Until the Maya devs solve their own ABC import issues there's not much that can be done. I have no way of figuring out why their importer is crashing despite other ABC importers in other software working just fine with tyFlow data.

Okay, it's possible that Autodesk is quite slowly :-D  I will try soon Maya2020.4 maybe it's better.

In the first place I am indeed looking to get material IDs transferred to Maya and it would be at least a solution to export one by one.

But also I am interested to know, how I can select "selected cap faces"

(and Vray proxy is for sure only material)

Thanks
Does Maya have a VRay Proxy importer? VRay Proxies tend to be able to import tyFlow ABC data without issue (at least, in Max), so you could try using that.

Select cap faces does just that....if you put a Mesh operator (render turned off) and then an edit mesh on your flow you'll see that the cap faces are selected.
I will test tomorrow Vray Proxy importer in Maya, for sure there is one.

And when this just "selects the cap faces" as you said, so I can maybe
- once delete them (with delete modifier) and export
- and once invert selection and just delete other parts. I hope there a "invert selection modifier" in 3dsMax...
I'm still not experienced in 3dsMax Wink
You can also use the tySelect modifier to select by MatID, invert stack selections, etc.
great to know, thanks