Object Test
Hi

I would like to find out how do use Object Test to select a diagonal vertex for cloth binding. In the attached sketch, I have a trapezoid plane and a box (in red) use as an object test. Am trying to achieve the area (in green) to object test then bind to object.

Any suggestions and methodology is greatly appreciated.

Jon

Use Surface Test (inside or proximity), not Object Test. Object Test only considers particle pivots, not mesh.
(03-09-2021, 09:00 AM)tyFlow Wrote: Use Surface Test (inside or proximity), not Object Test. Object Test only considers particle pivots, not mesh.

Thanks! Greatly appreciated.

Just one more question, once simulation are completed within Tyflow, what is the best way to save it as a normal Point Cache within 3DS so I can reuse the point cache to perform endless looping?
Well the best export method is using an Export Particles operator to export to tyCache. tyCaches have retiming settings in order to control looping and such.

If you need a Point Cache modifier instead, first ensure your total particle count doesn't change over time. Then add a Mesh operator to your flow and disable "render only". Then add a Point Cache modifier on top of the flow to record the cache.
(03-09-2021, 10:04 AM)tyFlow Wrote: Well the best export method is using an Export Particles operator to export to tyCache. tyCaches have retiming settings in order to control looping and such.

If you need a Point Cache modifier instead, first ensure your total particle count doesn't change over time. Then add a Mesh operator to your flow and disable "render only". Then add a Point Cache modifier on top of the flow to record the cache.

Thanks, that is working great!

Can I also find out, instead of using Object Test/Surface Test to select vertexes (particles) - is it possible to select vertexes (particles) individually by clicking on them? Something like selecting vertexes on polygons/meshes within 3DS.
There's no way to do that currently, no.
(03-09-2021, 05:55 PM)tyFlow Wrote: There's no way to do that currently, no.

No worries. thanks.

Was wondering if I may pick your brain for some advice. In the attached screenshot, I am trying to select only the first row of vertexes so I can bind it to an object (eg box) but you can see nearer to the right hand side, there is a "bump" whereby when I use surface test to select vertexes, it goes beyond the first row of vertexes.

Any suggestion for workaround is greatly appreciated!

Is the bump in your geometry? Or you're saying the Surface Test isn't selecting the correct vertices?
(03-09-2021, 07:17 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Is the bump in your geometry? Or you're saying the Surface Test isn't selecting the correct vertices?

The "bump" is part of my geometry and I am trying only to select the first row of vertexes to bind it to the box. Using surface test will select more rows of vertexes due to the "bump" which is not what I am trying to achieve. Thus the asking of whether if selecting vertexes individually is possible, which is not at the moment.

Great work on Tyflow you have, the thing I have to figure out now is how to select only the first vertex row of interest.
Why not subdivide your box and add a little inverted bump to it, to match the shape of the bump in your cloth geo. That seems like the easiest way to ensure all cloth verts on that edge are still only a certain distance from the box.
(03-09-2021, 07:55 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Why not subdivide your box and add a little inverted bump to it, to match the shape of the bump in your cloth geo. That seems like the easiest way to ensure all cloth verts on that edge are still only a certain distance from the box.

The bump is just a section of the model, there are more contours in the rest of the whole plane where I am trying to simulate cloth.

I was trying boolean cut to get the inverted shape of the cloth within the box but hitting some issues, as I have just migrated from Maya and C4D over to 3ds.....

Thanks for the help

Found a way to do it! Thanks
Mostly sorted now using Surface Test and able to select only the first row of vertexes! Thanks for the help.

When a Surface Test, via a subdivided box, is used at the bottom of the trapezoid shape for Surface Test, is there a way for the Cloth particles not to collide with the box which is used for Surface Test? Thanks
Filter those particles to another event and use a Particle Switch operator to de-activate them. Then they won't be factored into the cloth/collision solver.
Thanks. The method of Mesh => then Point Cache may not be optimal as constant count of particles cannot be guaranteed.

Would you be kind enough to briefly explain:

. Export Particles - how endless looping can be done with Export Particles? With tycache, alembic or vraymesh outputs. Using Point Cache is quite straight forward with morphing in 3ds.

. When caching animated output via Export Particles - which output format provide the fastest rendering in Vray process?

Thanks!!
You can use the tyLooper modifier to loop animation on any geometry with a consistent vertex count.

tyCache would be fastest for VRay, since tyCaches can be rendered natively as instances.
(03-11-2021, 05:07 AM)tyFlow Wrote: Filter those particles to another event and use a Particle Switch operator to de-activate them. Then they won't be factored into the cloth/collision solver.

Hi Tyson, have been trying filtering and using particle switch but hitting a wall with my simulation. Was wondering if you may have a simple scene to elaborate this? Thanks a ton