Object Bind Operator: Bind to UV
Hi!

I think it would be cool if you can lock particles to the UVs via object bind.

So you will be able to stick particles to topology changing mesh surfaces with active UV transfer for example from maxfluids or PhoenixFD.

May that be possible?

Thank you and greetings! Big Grin
I'm not really sure how that would work, to be honest. The problem with doing a UVW-to-mesh correspondence like that, is that there's no guarantee any particular UVW value will only have one corresponding mesh location, since UVWs can overlap. Especially for closed surfaces, like a fluid...you're basically guaranteed overlap, which would result in insurmountable artifacts (particles jumping all over the mesh as they try to find faces within the polygon soup that overlap the target UVW value).
"Not really shure" means you'll investigate and give it a try?

Idk how a UVW layout of a fluid mesh with UV transfer looks like. But its interesting .

What also can be a usecase is, when you use UVW X-Form modifier, you could slide particles over the surface just by animating the U or V offset. This can be a really nice effect too.
(06-16-2021, 06:19 AM)TubeSmokeGuy Wrote: "Not really shure" means you'll investigate and give it a try?

Idk how a UVW layout of a fluid mesh with UV transfer looks like. But its interesting .

What also can be a usecase is, when you use UVW X-Form modifier, you could slide particles over the surface just by animating the U or V offset. This can be a really nice effect too.

if you can't grarantee non-overlapping uv, then it doesn't make sense to do uv lock, if all you want is make particles sliding along some surface, try to use surface force together with spline force,  if you want some partcle stick to fluid sim, try extract certain particle out of the fluid, since particle id can be consistant, but uv probably not.
Thank you for this suggestions, I know these options. Just wanted to throw that ball into the game, maybe it have could been fruitful.