tyBend Segments: Weld nerby vertices threshold
Hi!

It would be great if tyBend could have a threshold (radius arround vertex) which allows welding of existing vertices with the closest vertices created by the segmentation slices. Options could be that vertices whithin the threshold should be pulled to the segement slice vertex position, to the position of the original vertices or to the center inbetween.
Important is that it only welds existing vertices with vertices that are resulting from segmentation slices. Not existing vertices with existing vertices.

I hope I was able to make clear what I imagine.

Thank you and greetings!
Have you tried disabling welding in the tyBend settings, and adding a tyWeld modifier above set to weld open edges only? Then you can adjust the threshold to whatever value you need. (tyBend's weld function does that internally, but with a threshold of 0.0001).
Hi Tyson, thanks for this suggestion but it doesn't do what I intentionally desire.

With the special welding behaviour I requested in the initial post some of the following problems can be avoided / fixed. Please see the screenshots and the maxfile attached. Thank you. The filenames of the screenshots describe the issue.

Here is the maxfile (I did this extra post because number of attachments are limited to 5 files per post).

Attached Files
.max   tyBendWeldRequest_MAX2021_01.max (Size: 684 KB / Downloads: 115)
Alright, I took a look at your file and there are a few issues at play here. Firstly, the 45 degree angle selection, the black chamfer artifacts, etc, can be fixed by disabling "optimize slice edges" in the tyBend modifier. That will preserve all slice geo without trying to minimize internal faces. The minimization algorithm is what's preventing those internal faces from welding together properly post-cut, and creating the artifacts.

As for the first couple images, your model is a very specific case whose solution can't really be generalized in the way you're requesting. On most models, welding within some threshold to the slice plane would create all kinds of other artifacts. It just happens to seem like a good solution here because your model is perfectly flat along one axis. So the work required to implementing a special welding algorithm for a single type of model doesn't really make sense. I think a better solution here is just to further subdivide your model prior to bending.

As a side note, it does seem like my slice optimization algorithm, which is creating the artifacts you noticed, is not working correctly in all cases. I will keep your file on hand to figure out why it's failing in those few cases where it's not cleaning up verts correctly, leading to the gaps between faces.
Hi Tyson, thanks for your detailed reply. I really apprciate your efforts! With my objects I like to stay as most procedural as possible during modifier stack. So it is very important that the modifiers go hand in hand and work without producing artefacts which require manual fixing and with that break the procedurality chain.

I illustrated my suggstion for you for maybe better understanding.