Displace using Map
I'd like to suggest a functionality to displace particles positions using 3D maps.
This could be done in world or object space of a specified node.
Essentially what the Displace operator already seems to be doing, instead for particles themselves and not their geometry.
Maybe the existing Position Displace operator could be extended with the described mode.

I know you can already sample maps and use the values for the position vector without scripting. But this overrides the existing position.
How would this differ from what the Position Displace operator already does?
(07-07-2021, 06:13 AM)tyFlow Wrote: How would this differ from what the Position Displace operator already does?

It wouldn't be constrained to any surface and moving along normals.
Please see the attached file (max 2021).

In the osl_noise_static map you can spin the flow-value from 0.0 to 1.0 and have periodic wiggling.
But if you keyframe this value, the tyflow script operator freezes. So you can freeze 3dsmax if you enable the Script_animated operator.

The periodic osl noise code is from https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/OSLS...ral+noises and slightly modified to be 0-centered and 3D.

Attached Files
.max   displace_by_periodic_noise.max (Size: 940 KB / Downloads: 176)
Hmm, weird about the freeze...could you try setting max threads in the main tyFlow modifier panel rollout to 1 and see if the freeze still occurs?
I discovered that it's not a total freeze, it just takes a very long time. Limiting to one thread doesn't seem to make a difference.