Rotation (Surface Align) issue
I am trying to add feathers to a leg using tyflow but i having some issues aligning them to the surface correctly. I have done similar things in the past with no problem. My geo seems fine, i have checked their normals, i have reset their xform. but the feather always appear skewed in random directions in certain areas.

At the end of the video i show my results using Forest pack which appear correctly, but i would much rather do them in tyflow.

Am i missing something key here?

Cheers!

Attached Files
.mp4   2021-12-13 13-06-52-1.mp4 (Size: 6.32 MB / Downloads: 102)
Can you share the max file?
(12-13-2021, 06:00 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Can you share the max file?

Yeah sure, here you go!

Attached Files
.max   tyflow-feathers.max (Size: 5.46 MB / Downloads: 114)
Hi! I'm having the same problem with the alignment.

Did you managed to get the same result with tyFlow, as you did with Forest Pack?

Another thing I`m having a hard time is to select the base of each feather and bind it to the object.. Distance from the object is not working since each part has a bit different topology (since I`m making a hair seen by a microscope, so I have some "blades" to bind to a cylinder.. And needing to create a position offset too, so the placement gets a bit more organic..

@tyFlow , Tyson, any clue on how I could achieve such structure?

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/2-hu...brary.html

Thanks in advace! =)
Whoops, this thread slipped through the cracks and I forgot to respond.

To be honest I'm not seeing the issue in the OP...when I open the file, add the leg to the Rotation operator and set x rotation offset to 40 this is the result I get...seems ok?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

rod_sott: here's a file to check out. It's not perfectly intersection free, but it's a starting point.

Attached Files
.max   hair.max (Size: 736 KB / Downloads: 82)
(02-24-2022, 04:20 AM)tyFlow Wrote: rod_sott: here's a file to check out. It's not perfectly intersection free, but it's a starting point.

Hi Tyson, thanks you for your time on doing this! In fact this problem seems to be solved as soon as I bought the Pro latest version.. Now I can't reproduce the error anymore, but what was happeing is that just some of the parts was flipping its normals. When I added the Rotation with Surface Align, and rotated it in X, most of the parts was rotating down, while about 10% was rotating upwards.. Maybe a glitch in the latest Beta?

I saw your file, but it has the same problem I'm facing right now, which is the face's interpenetrations. I'll need the parts to be cloth like, so they begin all messed, and when the product is absorbed by the hair, it's folicles gets smooth and near the cylinder base, like this video below (but of course without one part being overlapping the other)

https://streamable.com/gfqb3k

Please tell me if you could help me with these topics below:

1) How I could propagate all the blades organically, with some position offsets, making the binding avoid overlapping each other, like this picture below?

https://ibb.co/0VgTczk

2) How to select just the base vertex of each blade, so I could bind it to the cylinder.. I tried using Surface Test with Material ID, Set Target, Grouping.. But I just cant create this information, of specific row of vertices.. At the Data Display the MadID is always 0.. I thought using tySelect to select the base vertices, but I can't figure how to make tyFlow pick those specific vertices.. I tried using Actors with tyParticleSkin, and as Plain meshes.. but couldn't make this selection.

Just managed it using Surface test by Distance, with all blades in horizontal position, and just when they simulate its bindings, with negative gravity, they go to the upwards position.. But this messes with each blade shape, since it looks like hanging clothes.. =)

Once again, thank you for your time!!

My best,

Rod
Does the whole thing need to be simulated? You could get the same effect with tySelect + tyConform....keyframing the selection to move over the strand so that the effect is animated exactly as you have it now. Using tyConform would mean the pieces conform to the surface without intersecting any more than they do in the start configuration (which could be made fairly penetration-free with a cloth setup).

As for selecting particular vertices, you can assign that base row of faces a different matID and then filter particles by matID, in order to isolate just that bottom row.
In fact I think it needs a simulation, since all the blades begin messed, and when the product comes into it, they settle and got smoother.

That's my results so far. I think it will work just great, with all the final materials and textures:

https://streamable.com/3tjpew

As for selecting specific vertices, I was doing exactly what you said, but the matID returns 0 at the Data Display.. I ended up simulating it with the blades starting in a horizontal position, then settling it with a positive gravity, so they overlap each other the correct way, without the interpenetration.

Maybe is because I'm using an Actor for the blades, instead of a shape, that the matID filter is not working? I`ve searched Facebook`s page and this forum, but couldn`t find anything related to that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)