Creating and simulating a lifting chain
Question 
Hello,

I am not sure how to go about this but I would like to create a reliable way to simulate a chain lifting an object while it is attached to a crane. I tried to achieve this with physX collisions simulating the chains as convex pieces but I could not get the chains rigid enough or stable enough to do anything with them. I wasn't able to "attach" the simulation to already established geometry either (crane) in my scene. Please can anyone give me any pointers on how to reliably achieve this if I not only have "chain links" but hooks and other "proper" chain pieces in my simulation? 

I am sorry I do not have any files, I am completely stumped by this problem.

Thank you in advance.
There is a chain link example in the official example scenes, so you can see how to setup a chain link.

The key to stability for a lot of little PhysX pieces connected like that, is increasing substeps and pos. iterations in the general PhysX settings.
(02-21-2022, 06:09 PM)Lifter Wrote: Hello,

I am not sure how to go about this but I would like to create a reliable way to simulate a chain lifting an object while it is attached to a crane. I tried to achieve this with physX collisions simulating the chains as convex pieces but I could not get the chains rigid enough or stable enough to do anything with them. I wasn't able to "attach" the simulation to already established geometry either (crane) in my scene. Please can anyone give me any pointers on how to reliably achieve this if I not only have "chain links" but hooks and other "proper" chain pieces in my simulation? 

I am sorry I do not have any files, I am completely stumped by this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Did you manage to get anywhere with this? I'm trying to do something similar with a crane, masterlink, rope slings etc