slow a particle to a stop
This is probably very simple but i can't think of a way to do it.

I have a particle being emitted from a tyicon with speed dirving it. but i want the particle to come to a gradual stop. keyframing the speed does nothing. and the slow operator screws up the noise pattern have of the tyspline.

Is there a way to just slowly bring it to a stop?

Thanks
(07-27-2022, 02:22 PM)ldotchopz Wrote: This is probably very simple but i can't think of a way to do it.

I have a particle being emitted from a tyicon with speed dirving it. but i want the particle to come to a gradual stop. keyframing the speed does nothing. and the slow operator screws up the noise pattern have of the tyspline.

Thanks

What about using a force with a drag from 3dsmax? (in space warps/force/drag)

Haven't tried it but perhaps it works.

Cheers!
Snail node
TBKoen
(07-27-2022, 02:22 PM)ldotchopz Wrote: This is probably very simple but i can't think of a way to do it.

Thanks

What about using a force with a drag from 3dsmax? (in space warps/force/drag)

Haven't tried it but perhaps it works.

Cheers!

It appears to have the same effect as the slow operator i'm afraid.

(07-28-2022, 02:34 AM)424454078@qq.com Wrote: Snail node

I love that you call it a snail node looool. but like i said above, the "Slow Operator" has some strange effects on the path and doesn't seem to fully stop the particles in the way i'm hoping
You can bring particles to a stop with the Slow operator, but only if you're not simultaneously injecting more forces into the sim (as you likely are with your Path Follow operator - that might be the "strange effect" you're talking about).

The Slow operator reduces velocities applied to particles...but if you keep applying them after the Slow does its work, you'll never reduce the velocity to zero.

That said, if you place the Slow operator *after* the Path Follow operator, you can negate whatever extra force is applied by the Path Follow operator. For example, if you put a Slow operator after a Path Follow and set slow % to 100, the particles will never be moved by the Path Follow because the Path Follow velocities are instantly dampened to zero by the Slow operator.

That's obviously not the result you want, but what you can then do as an alternative is place the Slow after the Path Follow and then keyframe the slow value from 0-100 over time...using the Keyframes rollout to sync the keyframes to the particle lifespans however you want. In that setup you can bring particles to a complete stop over time.
(07-28-2022, 02:17 PM)tyFlow Wrote: You can bring particles to a stop with the Slow operator, but only if you're not simultaneously injecting more forces into the sim (as you likely are with your Path Follow operator - that might be the "strange effect" you're talking about).

The Slow operator reduces velocities applied to particles...but if you keep applying them after the Slow does its work, you'll never reduce the velocity to zero.

That said, if you place the Slow operator *after* the Path Follow operator, you can negate whatever extra force is applied by the Path Follow operator. For example, if you put a Slow operator after a Path Follow and set slow % to 100, the particles will never be moved by the Path Follow because the Path Follow velocities are instantly dampened to zero by the Slow operator.

That's obviously not the result you want, but what you can then do as an alternative is place the Slow after the Path Follow and then keyframe the slow value from 0-100 over time...using the Keyframes rollout to sync the keyframes to the particle lifespans however you want. In that setup you can bring particles to a complete stop over time.

Okay great thank you for that explination. they werent coming to a complete stop so it may be my setup. i will tinker with it!