Spread particles gradually
Hello everyone,
an easy question that is wasting a lot of my time:

I have a 100 x 100 x 4 cm box, which I divided into several elements with the brick fracture operator.
Now I would like to move these small boxes on the z-axis, based on the radius of a sphere using surface test (distance), so they go to recompose my initial box to a higher z-axis position.
I have tried using the spread operator but I cannot find a way to move the boxes gradually to their final position (now they jump in 1 frame).

What is the best way to move an object on an axis a certain distance and gradually?

thank you and have a nice day
If you want to move particles up a certain distance over time, just set the Spread operator value to a fraction of that distance, and then set the timing of the Spread operator (in its Timing rollout) to your distance divided by that fraction.

So if you want to move up 50 units over 100 frames, set Spread timing to frame 0-99 (or 1-100 or whatever your 100 frame range needs to be), and the z-axis spread value to 0.5.
(07-28-2022, 02:23 PM)tyFlow Wrote: If you want to move particles up a certain distance over time, just set the Spread operator value to a fraction of that distance, and then set the timing of the Spread operator (in its Timing rollout) to your distance divided by that fraction.

So if you want to move up 50 units over 100 frames, set Spread timing to frame 0-99 (or 1-100 or whatever your 100 frame range needs to be), and the z-axis spread value to 0.5.

OK, it works!
thank you very much.
actually I would like to understand how I can do a setup similar to this but applied to volumes (the checkerboard in the previous post).
In the attached picture I used tyselect with soft selection on vertices (unfortunately it doesn't allow me to use soft selection on elements) and faceExtrude to extrude them to a certain height.
All this is controlled by the spherical gizmo that scales.
I would like to create this setup not by extruding the faces but by moving the elements up to recompose the plane to a different position on the z-axis. All this controlled by a gizmo or object that scaling creates a gradual effect.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The Scale operator has a scale by proximity mode...if you enable that and point it to a helper, it will scale particles based on distance. You can use the available settings to limit the influence to the Z axis and achieve the desired result.