Particle loop function
I recently asked in the forum how to seamlessly loop a swarm of flys buzzing around but it turns out its quite hard to make look natural with custom tm and so forth due its linear transition.

I am a motion designer and many things i do for work and social media require loops of various things. sometimes it can even save space, for example having a 30 frame cache looping over a 300 frame animation. saving on uploading to farms and hard disk space.

The tylooper is great for most situations but i have found myself stuck when it comes to things like swarms or tenticles that need to loop somehow internally to get a smooth transition.

would be great to see this in the force operator for the noise parameters, and in the flocking operator.

Thanks!

Attached Files
.max   flys-loop-2020.max (Size: 1 MB / Downloads: 81)
tyLooper works best when the loop "almost" works on its own...it's really just to smooth things over to make it seamless, but it can't usually take a totally different start and end state and blend them in a way that doesn't look awful.

tyActor Animation has a loop mode too, which blends the transforms of the underlying bones over time, instead of the mesh vertices directly. This can yield better results than vertex blending in some cases and is great for bone-driven characters.

However, getting a seamless loop for something like a swarm or flock of things isn't really possible without the underlying animation looping in some manner (ex: following a closed path). I mean, maybe it's theoretically possible given some PHD-level analysis and extrapolation of motion Smile But not something that's possible given tyFlow's capabilities.
(08-08-2022, 12:40 PM)tyFlow Wrote: tyLooper works best when the loop "almost" works on its own...it's really just to smooth things over to make it seamless, but it can't usually take a totally different start and end state and blend them in a way that doesn't look awful.

tyActor Animation has a loop mode too, which blends the transforms of the underlying bones over time, instead of the mesh vertices directly. This can yield better results than vertex blending in some cases and is great for bone-driven characters.

However, getting a seamless loop for something like a swarm or flock of things isn't really possible without the underlying animation looping in some manner (ex: following a closed path). I mean, maybe it's theoretically possible given some PHD-level analysis and extrapolation of motion Smile But not something that's possible given tyFlow's capabilities.

Damn that’s disappointing. I thought for some reason it would be easy, but then again, I have 0 knowledge of how to program anything lool. Okay cool. Thanks for the response, I will look elsewhere for a solution.

I still think it could be a game changer for motion graphics and things if you ever decided to do some PHD level analysis  Big Grin