TyFlow Performance
Hi everyone,

Tyflow noob here. I have been using Youtube and following RedefineFX, Jessie is a great instructor.
Love the app. One of the things Tyflow gets touted up for is it's speed and is a major attraction for me, coming from PFlow (bleh hoping not to go back).
However things seems to be "slow" my system. I'll post my system specs below. And What I mean by slow, for example this tutorial takes 30+ minutes to resim once I open the asset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adBdLrd49K4&t=61s.

So I have several questions:

Is this something I'd expect to be better if I bought the PRO version of Tyflow? - (I currently have the 016134 beta which I believe has GPU acceleration and SMT)

Are there any sort of TYflow user bench/scene tests I can use to gauge my system's performance? Or could someone post a scene or tell me some rough sim times and I could compare on my end?

The link to older beta's seem to be broken or moved - https://www.tyflow.com/beta/Download.php...low_XXXXXX So I am unable to cycle through versions and test.

Outside of the potential speed issues I am really enjoying using it and am transisiton from Plfow. Please keep up the good work.

System Specs:
Windows 10
3dsmax 2021 and 2022 - latest updates
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
64 GB DDR4 RAM
1TB SSD
RTX 3090  - 24gb ram
I can't vouch for tutorials made by other people, but from the video I only see 60k particles...in a normal setup with interparticle collisions and whatever, a sim like that on your machine should only take a few seconds.

In the tyFlow Editor window you can right-click and choose Utilities->tyProfiler. Then sim some frames and wait for it to print out its info. It will give you a tree-graph view of all tyFlow operator timings, which should very quickly show you the bottleneck. Knowing where the bottleneck is should help you track down the issue. Maybe an operator is reading a huge texture off a really slow drive or something?
(08-08-2022, 06:42 PM)tyFlow Wrote: I can't vouch for tutorials made by other people, but from the video I only see 60k particles...in a normal setup with interparticle collisions and whatever, a sim like that on your machine should only take a few seconds.

In the tyFlow Editor window you can right-click and choose Utilities->tyProfiler. Then sim some frames and wait for it to print out its info. It will give you a tree-graph view of all tyFlow operator timings, which should very quickly show you the bottleneck. Knowing where the bottleneck is should help you track down the issue. Maybe an operator is reading a huge texture off a really slow drive or something?

That was my thought as well. @ only 60K particles seemed way too slow There is also Particle Physics at work and such. You did touch on a good point as far as voicing for tuts made by others. Could you point me to some official TYFlow test scenes if at all possible? . Would I benefit more from just getting Tyflow Pro?

I'll try the typrofiler. I also noticed that the beta build that I have spits out this error when I try to query my CPU threads (looks like it cant access the threads??):

Threads:
    thread 0 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 1 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 2 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 3 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 4 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 5 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 6 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 7 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 8 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 9 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 10 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 11 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 12 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 13 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 14 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 15 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 16 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 17 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 18 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 19 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 20 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 21 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 22 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 23 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 24 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 25 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 26 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 27 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 28 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 29 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 30 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 31 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 32 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 33 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 34 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 35 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 36 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 37 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 38 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 39 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 40 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 41 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 42 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 43 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 44 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 45 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 46 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 47 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 48 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 49 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 50 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 51 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 52 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 53 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 54 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 55 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 56 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 57 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 58 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 59 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 60 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 61 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
    thread 62 [group: 0 | groupError: 0]
groupError: 0 means there's no error (an error would be a non-zero return for groupError).

Here's one thing to check: are you running any software which is changing thread affinity for 3ds Max after you open it? You can check by running 3dsmax and then checking its thread affinity from the Windows Task manager. Every single CPU should be checked in the affinity window. Any modification to thread affinity can have a huge performance drop.

If you want official example scenes you can check the scenes download option on the tyFlow download page. There are a bunch that use a lot of grains (probably more than 60k in some places although I haven't checked) and none of them should take anywhere close to 30 minutes to sim through.

The latest BETA should basically give you full performance. I wouldn't expect any real performance difference between the BETA and the latest PRO for those scenes.

If you run through a few frames from the 30 minute sim from the tutorial you found with the tyProfiler activated, what does it show?
i very like tyflow, but same problem, my computer is i9-12th, 64G DDR4,  Nivida A5000 24G, but When i simulate a scene of 600 frames, The  process is very very  slow ,It will take about 4 hours!
just used physicx shape and physics collition, number of particles is 200, and then in the 150 frame use time test to broken into 7000 pieces. OH!!!! it's too crazy! why is it so slow? i wish i can get help for me, thanks! i opend the typrofiles, but i didn't see any threads occupying it either, and usually When the number of particles exceeds 10000,600 key frame,  it 's  very slow. especially when using physics operation