LODs for particles?
Question 
Hello,

i am new to tyflow. I use a very detailed object as instance to my particles. is there a way to do a 3dsmax-like LOD-system?
The further away from the camera the less detailed they need to be.
Thx in advance, sweem
Modern renderers don't really benefit from LODs if you're rendering as instances. Same goes for the viewport (up to a point).

tyFlow doesn't have any built-in LOD system....you'd have to set it up yourself (swap between hires and lowres mesh based on distance to camera....can be done with Object Test operators to measure the distance, sending particles back and forth between events which have hi/lowres LODs applied with Shape operators).
(02-13-2023, 04:25 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Modern renderers don't really benefit from LODs if you're rendering as instances. Same goes for the viewport (up to a point).

tyFlow doesn't have any built-in LOD system....you'd have to set it up yourself (swap between hires and lowres mesh based on distance to camera....can be done with Object Test operators to measure the distance, sending particles back and forth between events which have hi/lowres LODs applied with Shape operators).

Ok thanks for reply. I think i am not able to do that yet. I know there is a distance measure tool but i dont know how to connect this into the routine. If i send you a test file could you show to me please?
You don't have to use a distance measure tool...it's much simpler and can be done within tyFlow.

Attached is a file showing how to do it, I've also added a Camera Cull operator so only particles in the camera frustum will be displayed. Hit play to see it update.

Attached Files
.max   LOD.max (Size: 660 KB / Downloads: 107)
(02-13-2023, 08:27 PM)tyFlow Wrote: You don't have to use a distance measure tool...it's much simpler and can be done within tyFlow.

Attached is a file showing how to do it, I've also added a Camera Cull operator so only particles in the camera frustum will be displayed. Hit play to see it update.

That is exactly what i wanted to see! Thank You!
OK so you where right from beginning. tyflow is so fast i dont need the LODs. But i learned something new.