tree leaflet/compound leaf how to?
Question 
Hello,

As my first serious test I was trying to simulate a tree leaflet/compound leaf and thought the Cloth Bind operator would give me the right result right away but when my leaflet mesh collides with my ground object using the Collide operator it just compresses down to an almost flat mesh.

I've been trying the different Binding Stiffness settings in the Cloth Bind operator but I cant get it to be stiff enough to hold its shape and not compress down to an almost flat mesh on collision with the ground.

Am I using the wrong operator for this type of sim?

Thanks.
Increasing bind solver steps (in the tyFlow bind solver rollout) will increase the stiffness of individual bindings. The default is 5, but for cloth you might want 50 or more depending on the resolution of the cloth.

For cloth surface stiffness (not simply individual bind stiffness), it's generally controlled by the cloth bind ->bend stiffness parameter...but bend shouldn't be stronger than stretch/shear, and none of them should every really be at 1. So try something like .85/.85/.75 for stretch/shear/bend and bind solver steps at 50 and go from there. If your leaf is very high resolution, you might need to go much higher for the solver steps...250...500.....experiment Smile
(04-13-2019, 04:42 AM)tyFlow Wrote: Increasing bind solver steps (in the tyFlow bind solver rollout) will increase the stiffness of individual bindings. The default is 5, but for cloth you might want 50 or more depending on the resolution of the cloth.

For cloth surface stiffness (not simply individual bind stiffness), it's generally controlled by the cloth bind ->bend stiffness parameter...but bend shouldn't be stronger than stretch/shear, and none of them should every really be at 1. So try something like .85/.85/.75 for stretch/shear/bend and bind solver steps at 50 and go from there. If your leaf is very high resolution, you might need to go much higher for the solver steps...250...500.....experiment Smile

Thank you Tyson,
Will keep experimenting with it! Smile
Thanks for such a cool tool!!
Cheers!
And of course you need particle physics op one the flow for cloth self collisions. 
There is also an example file for that.