Custom Properties by Magnitude
Hi

It seems magnitude is calculated from the origin - which affects result if object is moved.

ie: lets say I want to do something by magnitude - could be color ramp or whatever by particle travel distance (magnitude), so I save the position magnitude in a custom float.

I now set up whatever it is I am trying to do by magnitude and all is well. However if I move the object / position icon etc.  the magnitude changes because its referenced from the origin.

It seems to me there should be an option to have magnitude calculated from birth position so you can get a real travel distance to use for whatever purpose. In my example above, if I re-position my object - the magnitude changes with every move and messes up any action based on position magnitude - you would have to go back and recalculate ramps or whatever by adjusting for the move from the origin.

I hope this makes sense

Rob
It's hard to understand what you're trying to do...position magnitude is calculated from origin, yes, because it's just the length of the particle's position vector (which is always relative to the origin).
(06-07-2023, 01:31 PM)tyFlow Wrote: It's hard to understand what you're trying to do...position magnitude is calculated from origin, yes, because it's just the length of the particle's position vector (which is always relative to the origin).

G'Day Mate

Lets say I have an object, and I want to color ramp it based on magnitude rather that say Z height - because Z height would ramp colors exactly at the same height and give a mechanical look to the ramps over several objects.

The object like a tree could have long and short branches, low hanging long ones or tall short ones, in either case the ramp by Z height would not work, it would produce a mechanical coloring across the object. If you could do it by length, you could have a coloring effect from base to branch tip, which looks awesome.  I can do it now by magnitude, but if I move my objects the value changes because the origin distance.  So I would have to go back to each event every time I move an object to a new position. So I thought it would be awesome if you actually have a "travel distance from birth" to use as a source for custom float. Which in essence is the same value as now, minus the first distance - origin to birth.

Rob
If you store the birth position in a custom vector using a Custom Properties operator, you can measure a particle's current position to that position using a Property Test (custom vector distance). Enable "save all test values" under the Test Action rollout and you'll have access to that distance value in a custom float channel.
(06-08-2023, 01:30 PM)tyFlow Wrote: If you store the birth position in a custom vector using a Custom Properties operator, you can measure a particle's current position to that position using a Property Test (custom vector distance). Enable "save all test values" under the Test Action rollout and you'll have access to that distance value in a custom float channel.

I'll try that, thanks mate!

Rob