Cloth Bind Settings per Material ID possible?
Sad 
errr... those times you fail right at the start of your project...

I have this balloon with two Mat ID'S on it (grey and dark grey)
and would like to assign different cloth bind values to it.
I.e. make the darker straps stiffer than the rest.

But somehow i'm not able to solve this simple thing.
Activating by ID in cloth bind or property test with Material ID won't work?

Thanks in advance tyflow fam!

Use a Property Test to send particles with the matching material ID to an event with a Modify Bindings operator that stiffness/shorten those binds.
(10-12-2023, 01:20 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Use a Property Test to send particles with the matching material ID to an event with a Modify Bindings operator that stiffness/shorten those binds.

Hi Tyson,

thx for the fast reply!
Well that i was my first approach too.

But i somehow don't get it to react to the property test?!

I attached the stripped down scene.
What makes we wonder, there's no difference when i switch the mat id's 1 to 2 in the property test.

Attached Files
.max   Bindings_by_MatID.max (Size: 8.22 MB / Downloads: 38)
Whoops, I forgot that cloth controller particles don't inherit the material ID of the source mesh...only the cloth surface itself.

Luckily the workaround is easy...use the "activation" settings to activate and send the matID=2 particles to your other event, then just manually activate the rest of the particles in the first event. You'll get the desired result. See attached.

I'll add an "inherit material ID" option to the Cloth Bind operator in the next build, so this workaround isn't required (or at least, my original description of a solution will work).

Attached Files
.max   Bindings_by_MatID_02.max (Size: 8.34 MB / Downloads: 49)
Awesome! That's it!

Don't need to bash my head against the screen anymore!
Was almost sure there's something going on ;-)
Thx so much for the fast help Tyson!
Also looking further into it...I know why I didn't originally add an "inherit material ID" setting for cloth particles - it's because mesh vertices can be adjacent to faces with more than one ID...so there's not really a good way to choose which one to assign, and the wrong assignment can mess up cloth later in the pipeline, when those IDs are re-applied back to the cloth mesh as ID overrides.

So it's best not to have them inherit material IDs at all...which means the workaround I provided is actually the proper solution.