Alembic fracture
Hi guys,

I am trying to fracture and alembic animation ( a moving body).I can't do that via birth object as that kills the animation, so I assume the only way is to 
tyactor and add also and animation actor.I can't figure the order of these as animation and preview of alembic in most cases is hardly responding ( 3ds max) 
..Is there a correct order way to do that ?

Thanks
After fracture, try adding object bind operator (referencing the same alembic mesh) and set to "lock to surface"
HI,

Thanks ! and do I need the actor and animation actor too ?
If you have only (for example) running alembic character that you want to dissipate, you don't need actors.
Just, as you said, use the alembic for birth object, fracture it, then use it for object bind... then you probably want surface test, that will transfer your paticles (fragments) to the next event where you blow them out with wind, or whatever you want to do.
(10-20-2023, 04:50 PM)d4rk3lf Wrote: If you have only (for example) running alembic character that you want to dissipate, you don't need actors.
Just, as you said, use the alembic for birth object, fracture it, then use it for object bind... then you probably want surface test, that will transfer your paticles (fragments) to the next event where you blow them out with wind, or whatever you want to do.

Hi,

THanks a lot! that did work for the alembic fracture.Tomorrow  I will try to figure a way how to have that property test /trigger move slowlier  through the object ..neighbour test is making it move way too fast .. Confused
Just make a box or sphere, animate it going down, until it covers all the character.
Use surface test (volume inside mode), reference that box/sphere, and link that operator to the new event with wind or whatever you want fragments to do when entering the surface.
Hi again,

Thanks for helping me out !
I will try your method too but since I wanted to have more clearly and slowly spread like a virus.. I used this method see attached..all works fine on static body ..when I use it on the alembic since it is moving ..there kind of start to fall apart on small and bigger nasty chunks .But I guess that is normal as  these kind of waves from the motion that groups them like that ...I will try to slow down the alembic to see and very slow speeds how it looks..

The other problem I can't solve so far is ..Since I fracture the body and object bind it I get fractured parts where the hands bend the moment the fracture starts as the body is moving and bending there....while the same frame I trigger the start from the bottom of the body legs ( in this case the dress) where the virus starts...
So I can't figure out how to limit the fracture only to the virus spread and not have it at the same time on the elbows

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well, in this case, maybe it's easier to trigger particles via texture map... gradient ramp (spherical) should work, and you can start from the dress as a small white dot, that will be animated (via gradient ramp options) to be bigger and bigger, until it covers whole body.
You can use that texture map in TyFlow as a trigger via surface test operator (set to texture), and instance the texture in that operator.

One more tip... check verlet in object bind operator, if you want them to carry on the velocity in next event.. in this cases it can be very useful.

As for object bind not following exactly the underlaying mesh.. yes, that's an issue.. and it can be fixed with cloth operator somehow.
I had recently discussion on TyFlow Discord group with the guy who managed to use cloth bind operator, and then he used cloth again (to bring it back without cloth), and that way he managed that fragments follow animation perfectly.
I am not sure how he did it, and don't have time to research it now.. you can join the group, and look at it.. it was something like 2-3 weeks a go.
Oh , Great ..I will look into that ...THanks a lot again!
I tried the cloth bind convert after the object bind which keeps the cloth fragments closed and not visible ..but that induced some abrubt kreeping of the virus fragmentation..could't find the discord guy solution though...
Verlet did a nice job to make the virus spread smoother though.
I will try the texture trigger now ..