Align scales along a loft object
Hi
I create scales on the surface of a loft (in order to do a snake).
I align them along the loft using a 'rotation surface' set to 'align to surface', 
and specify the loft as orientation object to follow and they all align gentely.

My problem is :
the loft's path is a tyspline.
If I use a 'regular' spline as path it the scales wont align properly along the loft.

What is the difference between loft faces made with a tyspline or made with a regular spline?
Hard to understand what you're asking or what the problem is without images/file.
Here's an example.
A renderable spline (I also tried with a loft object) a leaves distributed all along.
I'd like the leaves :
- being turned toward the sky
- being aligned to the spline

Tahnks.
(Max 2025 + TF 1.114)

(09-16-2024, 02:52 PM)Fabrice Wrote: Here's an example.
A renderable spline (I also tried with a loft object) a leaves distributed all along.
I'd like the leaves :
- being turned toward the sky
- being aligned to the spline

Tahnks.
(Max 2025 + TF 1.114)

To be clear, if I create a spline like this one but using tyspline + tymesher it work perfectly, 
I just need to set the rotation node to 'aligne to surface' and specify the same object as the 'orientation object'.
But with a regular renderable spline or a loft object the same parameters wont work.

Attached Files
.max   align to spline.max (Size: 1.63 MB / Downloads: 8)
Any suggestion?
That must be simple, I'm really stuck witk this...
Have you tried "align to spline" mode of the Rotation operator? That's what it's for...

See attached...

Attached Files
.max   align to spline_02.max (Size: 1.6 MB / Downloads: 10)
(09-17-2024, 09:35 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Have you tried "align to spline" mode of the Rotation operator? That's what it's for...

See attached...

Thanks but It's not what I'm looking for.
In your scene the scales are not following the skin of the snake,
I mean the scales are following the spline on left and right (like fins) but not all around the body (spline) as it should be.

Here's my scene, please help me as I'm really stuck in my project for days with this simple effect (...I thought it was).
I would just like to be able to align the scales to the skin along and around the body (wich later on while be less regular, I'll add noise modifier on it to make it more natural).

I hope you'll see my problem.
I tested dozens of parameters combinations for hours ans hours with no success.

PS and all the scales sudendly flip side at frame 153.
I guess it's because of some upnode issue?...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.max   tyflow_scales_orientation.max (Size: 1.79 MB / Downloads: 2)