vfx shot texture mapping
hello

I have a wall footage with moving camera, and the bricks explode and break. the dynamics are working, just need to work out the textures.

how can I use tyflow to texture the broken bricks.

1. the camera is moving and the texture of the bricks needs to match the footage, before the explosion
2. however once the bricks break they need to use the texture for this moment in time from the footage.
3. and the texture needs to freeze and stick to the bricks.

what is the best way to achieve this?

thanks
I don't think there's currently a direct way. Why not render 2 passes and then blend together in comp? One with frozen UVWs and one with the projection.
thanks for the fast answer, not sure how to get the texture correct with the 2 passes (frozen UVWs and one with the projection.)

the animated texture needs to freeze and stick to the brick at the correct time, and some bricks don't explode and other explode gradually, and the camera is moving.

how can i say to the brick,
use the current projection texture,
freeze it, don't use the animated texture anymore, but only the last frame before the explosion started, and stick to the falling bricks UVs.
Well, in that case you'd need 3 passes.

1) projected texture
2) frozen texture
3) a mask defining which particles are frozen and which are projected
I worked out the mapping, I use mapping from surface "continuously" and when the briks start moving as "on event entry" in the next event.

1. one problem, the moving bricks only take one colour sample from the surface when I use mapping from object, so the Bricks end up having one colour only rather than a texture from the surface applied to the. how can I fix that?

2. is it possible to apply a different material to a different event. I only see the Multi/sub-object as option with different IDs for different event, is there no other way to apply different material to different events?

thanks
Sampling per-shape-vertex UVWs is beyond the scope of tyFlow operators. You'll have to bake the UVWs with a UVW unwrap modifier on the tyFlow.

All material assignments in a tyFlow are controlled with material IDs.
so there is not an option like in pflow operator "mapping Object" ? where the mapping values from the nearest object surface is copied to the particles as texture?
The Mapping operator will apply single UVW coordinate overrides per shape. But there's no option to remap all the verts of a shape (yet).
(04-26-2019, 10:27 PM)tyFlow Wrote: The Mapping operator will apply single UVW coordinate overrides per shape. But there's no option to remap all the verts of a shape (yet).

I feel that this is already possible but I'm falling for a really long time trying to archive something similar. It's basically projecting/transferring the UV mapping from a base object to the particles, keeping all the texture details instead of just one plain color per particle.

Any example, doc, tutorial, or any light you can shed on this?

Thanks!
Choose "Affect particle mesh vertices" at the top of the Mapping operator, to apply on a mesh level instead of a particle level.
Ok, sorry for being blind and dumb! Smile

I had a really low poly mesh being distributed on top of the base UVed object that I wanted to "project" from, that's why it wasn't getting the color right.

It actually doesn't solve my specific problem because of the Unwrap seams. Some particles are sampling UVs from close to the seams so they end up looking weird depending if they sample from one side of the seam or the other (they are far apart on the unwrapped UV layout). Anyway, I ended up going through another route: cloning the base geometry, using a gradient map to mask the borders out, and using this new mesh as a Birth object instead of birthing new particles/objects on top of the original one.

Thanks for chiming in Tyson and for making this amazing plugin!
Glad you found a solution! And yes...seams can be very tricky to deal with...