Animated texture sequence syncing to particle age
I'm trying to get an animated texture sequence syncing with particle age but having no joy, I've checked the tyflow_UVWgradient_001 sample scene and think I understand how the Custom properties and Mapping nodes interact along with the tyBitmap texmap which I assume is the correct way to do this.
Using that scene as a starting point, I swapping the gradient map out for a simple 200 frame counter sequence, and the spawning boxes for planes being burst emitted at several point pivots. If I apply Tyson's original gradient material, the colours of spawned particles clearly change in sync with their age, so I'm sure I'm missing something super obvious when changing to the image sequence, but can't figure out what.
I've attached a Max 2018 version of the test scene, any help much appreciated.

Attached Files
.zip   counter_particle_age_sync_001.zip (Size: 1.58 MB / Downloads: 706)
A few notes:

You don't want to normalize or clamp the mapping value, because that will return a value between 0-1 based on the normalization range. For animated textures, you want the raw time data saved to the UVW.x channel, which tyBitmap will use to figure out which frame to display.

Secondly, the mapping data should be in ticks, not frames. So change that in your custom properties operator.

Thirdly, you want to apply those frame UVWs to a channel that's different than your actual texmap UVW channel. Otherwise the frame values will override the texmap placement values. So in your scene, apply the Mapping operator values to channel 2 or higher. Then make sure the tyBitmap timing settings reads from that channel.

Finally, due to a currently max limitation, the animated texmaps will only display properly in renders, not the viewport.
Fantastic, thanks for the info Tyson, I'll give that a go this evening.
Thank you Tyson, this worked for me too.
(06-20-2019, 04:44 AM)tyFlow Wrote: A few notes:

You don't want to normalize or clamp the mapping value, because that will return a value between 0-1 based on the normalization range. For animated textures, you want the raw time data saved to the UVW.x channel, which tyBitmap will use to figure out which frame to display.

Secondly, the mapping data should be in ticks, not frames. So change that in your custom properties operator.

Thirdly, you want to apply those frame UVWs to a channel that's different than your actual texmap UVW channel. Otherwise the frame values will override the texmap placement values. So in your scene, apply the Mapping operator values to channel 2 or higher. Then make sure the tyBitmap timing settings reads from that channel.

Finally, due to a currently max limitation, the animated texmaps will only display properly in renders, not the viewport.

hi there,
how about i want my animated color sync to particle age? so its not using bitmap...just animated color material.
let say i have animated color material from red to blue..., everytime prt birth its start from red color...
i have ask this at fb forum too..
thanks

prie / prihardimansyah
There's an example scene that shows you how to do it.
(08-15-2019, 02:34 AM)tyFlow Wrote: There's an example scene that shows you how to do it.

hmm..wich one? **_uvwgradient**.max file? 
but this file not key animated color change, i try swap with animated color change..its not working..
or not this file?
thanks
(08-15-2019, 04:47 AM)Prie Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 02:34 AM)tyFlow Wrote: There's an example scene that shows you how to do it.

hmm..wich one? **_uvwgradient**.max file? 
but this file not key animated color change, i try swap with animated color change..its not working..
or not this file?
thanks

I also could not figure out how to synchronize sequences with age
I also looking for a way to do this simple task
Hey guys just thought I'd chime in here and say I was trying to also do this exact thing and was very stumped for a while. I too started with the example file and followed the steps outlined here. I'm on the free beta still, so maybe it';s a bug with that, but I was able to solve this problem by applying the material directly to the Tyflow object instead of through the operators. Hope this helps someone!