Cell Division
On the FB page Ty posted a flow for cell division that is rather terse -

(Cloth convert > inflate > deconvert > voronoi fracture > subdivide > reconvert)

It seems like there are details missing from this flow.

When I follow the flow (at least I think I am following it, not sure what the "subdivide" step is alluding to), I get one division of the original object.

How are the subsequent divisions accomplished, and how are the new divisions contained within a bounding shape? Any chance of showing the original flow? Would be very helpful, at least to me.
The subdivide step is a Subdivide operator applied to particles, so the faces sliced with the Voronoi operator are properly subdivided and ready to be converted into cloth. Otherwise they won't have the resolution required to sim correctly.

The recursion is the result of sending particles from the subdivide event back to the cloth conversion event. That's what I mean by "reconvert"....ie, repeat from the start Smile
(07-08-2019, 11:14 PM)tyFlow Wrote: The subdivide step is a Subdivide operator applied to particles, so the faces sliced with the Voronoi operator are properly subdivided and ready to be converted into cloth. Otherwise they won't have the resolution required to sim correctly.

The recursion is the result of sending particles from the subdivide event back to the cloth conversion event. That's what I mean by "reconvert"....ie, repeat from the start Smile

Thanks so much, really!
(07-08-2019, 11:14 PM)tyFlow Wrote: The subdivide step is a Subdivide operator applied to particles, so the faces sliced with the Voronoi operator are properly subdivided and ready to be converted into cloth. Otherwise they won't have the resolution required to sim correctly.

The only animated parameter I have is the inflation of the modify bindings. That is how I am getting the first division (from what I understand). Once the halves start their motion they are soon offscreen.

It seems like you must be using some force of some sort to keep them into the spherical shape that they assume?

Am I just missing something really basic? (my vote would be for that one)

I've attached a screen grab of the flow I have.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The spherical shape is caused by really low binding stiffness which causes all the bindings to essentially reach equilibrium.

As for your setup....this won't work by having everything in a single event. You need to spread the actions out using a time test, so they inflate for a bit, then get cut/subdivided, then go back to inflating for a bit, etc.
(07-11-2019, 04:02 AM)tyFlow Wrote: The spherical shape is caused by really low binding stiffness which causes all the bindings to essentially reach equilibrium.

As for your setup....this won't work by having everything in a single event. You need to spread the actions out using a time test, so they inflate for a bit, then get cut/subdivided, then go back to inflating for a bit, etc.

OK thanks again, will try this (at least I'll pretend to understand and then try!).

Don't know if you have seen that on the FB group there is another thread related to this with folks adding their flow ideas to make this work. They are using different techniques however and yours seems more straightforward.

I am trying to create a medical/science animation of cell mitosis (cell division) and was hoping to use this as a starting point.
What I really need is for the divided cells to be more as less as big as the original cell, and not half as small as the starting shape.

Do you think your cell division is a good place to start with this, or is there another way that might be needed to create the (roughly) same size divisions as the original?

I'll also ask, since there seems to be a bit of sarcasm at the beginning of the cell division thread on FB about people "asking for the file" as opposed to figuring it out for themselves. I feel like I understand this attitude somewhat, but also feel like it would be good for you to share and explain as much as possible so that you can get new users (not just old p-flow users) to give tyflow the serious look it deserves.

I guess that is a long-winded way for me to ask if we can see you flow to understand better what is going on.
(07-11-2019, 04:02 AM)tyFlow Wrote: The spherical shape is caused by really low binding stiffness which causes all the bindings to essentially reach equilibrium.

Even with this direction, I find it unclear. What is "really low"?

Are you talking about the "binding stiffness" in the first cloth bind? The second? Or is this the stiffness in the modify bindings?

I have tried all of them to minimal effect. Only changing the numbers in the second cloth bind (convert) seems to do anything, and all I can get it to do is to make the original shapes larger after the division. It does not stop the pieces from flying offscreen.