Birth voxels fill the volume up
Hi,

I was struggling to achieve a full dense volume for powder simulation. Even with 10 million particles (very small particle size) I still get crevices between the shapes.
So i tried to do the same with houdini and got much better result with just a few clicks.

My question is: is there a way to create something to look more like houdini result with birth voxels and/or will it be possible to do it with future updates?

examples attached

i am fairly new to tyflow so i apologise if my question is not accurate

thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Can you post your file so I can peek at your settings?
(03-16-2023, 01:37 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Can you post your file so I can peek at  your settings?

Here it is. Any suggestion for a fuller volume would be appreciated.

Attached Files
.max   Powder_Cube_Vray.max (Size: 5.92 MB / Downloads: 61)
Hmm, yea that's a tricky one. Are you able to verify that there are no overlaps occurring between spheres in the Houdini example? Perhaps Houdini uses a different sphere-packing algorithm rather than simply filling a grid like Birth Voxels in tyFlow...how long does the Houdini example take to generate that many particles (vs Birth Voxels, on your machine)?

tyFlow's Birth Voxels operator uses a grid-based approach to scatter particles, which can result in visible patterns...adding jitter can remove the patterns but then gaps can be created, as you can see.

More info about the Houdini approach would help me figure out if it's something I can integrate in tyFlow.
(03-16-2023, 02:13 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Hmm, yea that's a tricky one. Are you able to verify that there are no overlaps occurring between spheres in the Houdini example? Perhaps Houdini uses a different sphere-packing algorithm rather than simply filling a grid like Birth Voxels in tyFlow...how long does the Houdini example take to generate that many particles (vs Birth Voxels, on your machine)?

tyFlow's Birth Voxels operator uses a grid-based approach to scatter particles, which can result in visible patterns...adding jitter can remove the patterns but then gaps can be created, as you can see.

More info about the Houdini approach would help me figure out if it's something I can integrate in tyFlow.

I can only show you how i did it (check recording), i know nothing else about houdini. I can't render the result from houdini to check the fullness but i have an example that was definitely made in houdini that I would like to achieve, check attached.
so if you check this "vellum configure grain" node in their docs, maybe you find a solution. I really hope so.

So the render result from tyflow obviously has lines even with max jitter, edges are not full and therefore there is too much spaces between shapes.

let me know if this somewhat helps

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.mp4   recording_3.mp4 (Size: 48.71 MB / Downloads: 76)
Thanks, it seems Houdini is doing some kind of overlapping neighbor cull, judging by the status messages reported at the bottom of your screen capture. I'd have to dig further into its functionality to get similar functionality in tyFlow - perhaps something to explore at some point.