PhsyX Shape Hull Type: Mesh not doing anything
Photo 
Heya, 

Just playing with a super simple system where I have a mesh that has concavity.  I want it to simply drop and land.  Convex Hull definitely works as predicted.  But using the Mesh type (to ensure the collisions in the concavity), results in the object no longer doing anything.

Ultimately, this would be a collection of objects that would interact, but I just want to test the simple stuff first.

Thanks!

~tsp
Todd Sheridan Perry
Director - Teaspoon Media, Inc
VFX Supervisor - TeaspoonVFX
Senior Tech Writer - Animation Magazine
You can see there's a note in the PhysX Shape operator right below the shape type dropdown that explains particles in "Mesh" mode will be treated as kinematic. The PhysX engine does not have support for concave dynamic rigidbodies, unfortunately.
Ahso! I did see that, I just was not clear on the meaning of "kinematic" in this context. I assumed it was referring to deforming meshes.

Thanks!
(04-04-2019, 10:27 PM)TeaspoonVFX Wrote: Heya, 

Just playing with a super simple system where I have a mesh that has concavity.  I want it to simply drop and land.  Convex Hull definitely works as predicted.  But using the Mesh type (to ensure the collisions in the concavity), results in the object no longer doing anything.

Ultimately, this would be a collection of objects that would interact, but I just want to test the simple stuff first.

Thanks!

~tsp

yah... same problem i am also facing..
Of you brake your mesh with voronoi, and then bind them with PhysX bind, you will still have only convex shapes, but a lot of smaller ones (for each of the fragment), and that way it will be much more precise, then one big convex object.
Here's the test I did long time a go, using the above approach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejjNHxBGQ7g

There's also, a very nice chain example in the official samples.
------------------
Btw - kinematic means that it won't be affected by any PhysX forces or object, but (dynamic) PhysX objects will bounce of it, and receive force from it.
It can be static, animated, deforming mesh.. whatever you want...
Good example would be a ball that is braking the wall.
If you don't want wall bricks to affect the ball at all, and ball to have only keyframed animation, you set manually, you make the ball PhysX kinematic.
Hi, everyone.

Is there any plan for this Hull Type Mesh to support Dynamic?
For example, when destroying a building with a complex structure, if the Hull Type is set to Convex Hull, the object will fly off, which is very annoying.
There is also a way to split the object with Voronoi, but this will increase the number of particles and make the simulation heavier.