Vray GPU shape particles are always spheres
I am still using the beta - but I can only render particles as spheres. Confused

I am usuing the Mesh node and setting it to Trimesh - but still I only get spheres, and not the specified geometry.

Am I doing something wrong, and or is this fixed in a newer version?
I've...never heard of this issue before. Can you post your setup? There must be something else going on...
https://www.dropbox.com/t/QKpBo6HZPriSKajW

I'm really not sure what happened - I switched back to CPU rendering... and was doing some test rendering, and then the CPU started rendering spheres as well.

Something broke and I don't know what - I thought it might be some cache issue... but when I turn off the Mesh operator in event 002, the shapes from event 001 render correctly, but event 002 doesn't.

I suspect the answer is really simple - but I am going crazy trying to work it out.
You have a Shape operator in your second event setting particles to spheres....
Yeah I know, I want the shapes in the next event to be be spheres.

I want the rain drops to turn to spheres - there is a better way ro do it?
Maybe I'm not understanding the problem them.

When i scrub to a random frame in your sequence, the drops in event 002 are spheres and the rain in event 001 are lines...is that not what you're seeing?
(05-13-2022, 02:58 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Maybe I'm not understanding the problem them.

When i scrub to a random frame in your sequence, the drops in event 002 are spheres and the rain in event 001 are lines...is that not what you're seeing?

When you scrub yes, that;s what you see - but it RENDERS as all spheres.

I want event one to be cylinders and event 2 to be spheres - but it's rendering all as spheres
Well I meant and render as well. When I render I see drop and spheres, just like in the view.

Can you post a screengrab of what you're seeing in your render? Also more info like what renderer version you're using.
https://www.dropbox.com/t/5MbYBFTuYwQEYAmu

It's looking like this - all the particles are spheres
Which version of VRay?
(05-16-2022, 04:50 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Which version of VRay?

Oh sorry - it's Vray 5.2.3 - Windows 10, Max 2022.3.3

24.0 - 24.3.3.3511

64 Bit.
Very bizarre....VRay GPU 5.2.2 here and still no issue....

Can you load the attached file, go to frame 25 and hit render and tell me what you see? Still all spheres? I've attached what I see.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.zip   rain_02.zip (Size: 16.92 MB / Downloads: 272)
(05-16-2022, 05:23 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Very bizarre....VRay GPU 5.2.2 here and still no issue....

Can you load the attached file, go to frame 25 and hit render and tell me what you see? Still all spheres? I've attached what I see.

It's still all spheres.
If you render in CPU mode is it still spheres?

If you change the 'sphere' Shape operator to some other shape, does it still render as spheres?
CPU renders correctly unless you have motion blur turn on in the camera, in which case, it renders as spheres - no matter whether you use trimsesh or instances etc.

If I turn off the shaper operator in event 2, then it will render everything as the cylinders from event 1.

I guess this is something that was fixed in the beta then?
That's so strange....and it's not something that was fixed, because it's not something that was ever an issue. There's gotta be something else going on.

The VRay GPU implementation was done by Chaos Group directly, you could try reaching out to them to see if they can make sense of your scene and the issue. I still can't reproduce it here so I'm not sure what else to try myself...