Effecting Phoenix FD with Tyflow?
Hey maybe a stupid question, but i couldnt figure it out so far. How do you effect/control Phoenix simulation with tyflow particles?
Like the opposite way when Phoenix is influencing typarticles with the fluid force operator.
Have you looked at the PhoenixFD official help files? That ones that show how to have 2-way interaction between rigidbodies and a fluid sim?
(07-04-2022, 12:00 AM)tyFlow Wrote: Have you looked at the PhoenixFD official help files? That ones that show how to have 2-way interaction between rigidbodies and a fluid sim?

I look it up and down again, but couldnt find it. Im missing the explanation on how to connect it to make tylow lead the phoenix sim
Or im just blind and/or dont understand
They're in the "PhoenixFD" folder of the sample file zip.

Explanations are in the 'README' notes within the flows.
(07-05-2022, 01:55 AM)tyFlow Wrote: They're in the "PhoenixFD" folder of the sample file zip.

Explanations are in the 'README' notes within the flows.

I actually was looking in the PhoenixFD forum/docs. Apologies for the inconvinience.
Will study the files
Had the time to look into it. This is also possible with smoke/fire? Changed it, but nothing happened when running phoenix sim.
Also is this the only way to affect phoenixfd? Since i have couple tyflow setups done and just wanted to add smoke to it, i was hoping there could be a way without changing tyflow particles.
Can you describe what type of influence you're referring to?

Just getting tyFlow to emit smoke/liquid is very simple...I thought you were referring to more complex 2-way interactions...
Basically i wanted to make these particles lead phoenix smoke, just like the other way around when phoenix sim leads the flow of particles with the fluid operator

Attached Files
.max   Untitled.max (Size: 900 KB / Downloads: 112)
If you want smoke to emit from particles you can just add them as a source in your PhoenixFD source helper. Just make sure you enable the particle interface in the interfaces rollout of your tyFlow object.
Not just emitting the smoke, but following the particles. Like the smoke follows a line through the phoenixfd helper "followpath".
Right now im using the emit option, but does it not work with tycache loaded into PhoenixFD source?
Have trouble while running both sims since tyflow does update whole progress without changing anything for some reason.
Here is what i mean
https://mega.nz/file/KhkxlJ7B#VVZG5MEDPF...OPGXUAyrmo
Oh you want the particles to act like forces on the smoke?

That's more of a PhoenixFD limitation than anything...it doesn't very good force control like that. Closest thing would maybe be their Body Force helper which allows you to attract fluid/smoke with a mesh. You could convert your particles to meshes and input them into a Body Force and see if that works. And doesn't Phoenix have a spline force as well? Could try that.
Will try it.
So tycache cant be used as a source for phoenix then? Or are there some settings that can make it work?
Problem is like you can see in the video, that tyflow is updating the sim from scratch when going backwards the timeline. Sometimes even when it just normally progress through the timeline, it starts the progress from 0 without changing anything...
Why does it do that?
Did you disable caching?
Hey Tyson, just adding to this. In the Beta you could emit smoke etc in Phoenix from a tyCache, this doesn't seem to work anymore. I went from beta build of 21st December 2021 to the latest pro build last week. I will probably switch back to beta for now. Wondering if its a bug or one for Phoenix guys to look at? Possible its a Phoenix 5 thing though.
(07-11-2022, 10:02 PM)tyFlow Wrote: Did you disable caching?

Yes... i dont know when or why i did it, but its disabled. Thanks

(07-12-2022, 02:35 PM)Adam Trowers Wrote: Hey Tyson, just adding to this. In the Beta you could emit smoke etc in Phoenix from a tyCache, this doesn't seem to work anymore. I went from beta build of 21st December 2021 to the latest pro build last week. I will probably switch back to beta for now. Wondering if its a bug or one for Phoenix guys to look at? Possible its a Phoenix 5 thing though.

Hi Adam
Im using Beta and it doesnt work
For emitting from a tyCache, you just need to enable the tyCache's particle interface in the interfaces rollout.
(07-12-2022, 03:02 PM)tyFlow Wrote: For emitting from a tyCache, you just need to enable the tyCache's particle interface in the interfaces rollout.

You mean this?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yes.
But its checked, without phoenix emitting anything from the particles.
You think there could be some other setting hindering it?
Probably me again changing settings Sad
Actually you know what, I missed that you're on PhoenixFD 5....I'm still running 4. Technically that shouldn't matter because that checkbox merely exposes the generic particle interface of tyFlow to Phoenix...however, it's possible that the latest version of Phoenix has a bug or something causing the issue. Might be worth pinging ChaosGroup about it.

In my own codebase I control how PhoenixFD containers are read by the Fluid Force operator and such, but not how PhoenixFD reads particle data from tyFlow.
Alright i think you are right about the bug.
Made a new scene and set it up partially again and it worked!
Thanks again
Glad you got it sorted Kanuk.

Tyson, can emit emit from a tycache but only takes the centre of the particle into account and not the mesh. Shall have a word with Svetlin over at Chaos to see if its an issue their side. Thanks!
To emit from particle meshes, you need to enable that mode at the bottom of the settings in their PhoenixFD Source helper.
Thanks Tyson, never had to do it before ha. Didnt think to check! Smile